Let's share some mental health tips!

iloverachel

No longer suicidal after 8 years of depression
Most of us on here are still struggling with serious mental health issues, so let's share some mental health tips. Can be large paragraphs, or just a few words, anything that has helped in your personal experience.

I will get the ball rolling

-Eliminate junk food (preferably restrict it to once or twice a week). I cannot stress how important this is. In my 8 years of unbearable depression and anxiety, I was eating like garbage and felt like garbage. Eat well, feel well. It is brutal and not easy but please trust me and give it a try
-Reach out. You are not alone. If you don't have friends in real life, you can even reach out to a stranger, most people are nice
-Exercise. Ideally 1 hour a day. Can be brief walking, lifting weights, jogging, bike riding etc. Exercise releases feel good chemicals known as endorphins which can help make you feel good and combat pain.

Now your turn! Share some mental health tips so we can have a collection of things to try out

Astrid78

that's what he thinks
What a great idea!

Remember this takes time. No one gets better right away and we all have our own healing time lines. Try not to feel pressured.

Drink lots of water. This is the one thing I notice the most, not drinking it leaves me feeling sluggish and down. If you dont like the taste add things to it. Make teas. Get creative. Make it fun.

Cutting out junk food completely is something I haven't been able do, but I have drastically cut out much of it. Going from a diet of chips and snack cakes to mainly fruit and veggies has helped just as much as adding water.

Pick what works for you and go with it. I've watched hours and hours of YouTube therapists. Read articles and things others were doing to get well.

Routine. Sticking to something everyday does help. Start small, say make your bed. Then add on to it. A daily habit tracker of some sort helps.

If you fall down, remember, this takes time. If you wake up tomorrow you have a chance to start again.

iloverachel

What a great idea!

Remember this takes time. No one gets better right away and we all have our own healing time lines. Try not to feel pressured.

Drink lots of water. This is the one thing I notice the most, not drinking it leaves me feeling sluggish and down. If you dont like the taste add things to it. Make teas. Get creative. Make it fun.

Cutting out junk food completely is something I haven't been able do, but I have drastically cut out much of it. Going from a diet of chips and snack cakes to mainly fruit and veggies has helped just as much as adding water.

Pick what works for you and go with it. I've watched hours and hours of YouTube therapists. Read articles and things others were doing to get well.

Routine. Sticking to something everyday does help. Start small, say make your bed. Then add on to it. A daily habit tracker of some sort helps.

If you fall down, remember, this takes time. If you wake up tomorrow you have a chance to start again.
Great tips and thanks for contributing. Yes healing definitely takes time and is a slow process.

Quitting junk is definitely hard. Over the past 8 years I have probably tried to diet and lose weight at least 20 times no exaggeration. But since May 25, it finally is working. So if you fail, don't give up and keep trying! You don't have to cut junk completely, you can make minor adjustments, e.g. light yoghurt instead of ice cream, boiled chips instead of fried chips, or have 1 cheat day a week or 2 cheat meals a week. I am currently having 1 cheat meal a week so i don't go completely insane. Also, drink lots of water prior to eating and chew your food very slowly so food digests better. You can do this

*hug

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
Great idea. I am careful with "nutrition" as I was told that some have eating disorders. So, if you have this - disregard what I write, ok?

- Sport: as much as possible. Can be simply gym, walking (the longer, the better).
- Minimalist: get rid of everything you do not need. You have less to worry about, less to clean.
- Food: I "eat" 4 months per year (try vegetarian), but normally I live the rest of the year on juice, water, tea....
- Drink: as much water as possible, and if possible water with fresh pressed lemon juice. You will see what I mean immediately. The body contains 50 - 70% of water. If you drink a lot it's like an oil change for a car.
- Do every day one good thing (minimum). All will come back to you.
-

iloverachel

Great idea. I am careful with "nutrition" as I was told that some have eating disorders. So, if you have this - disregard what I write, ok?

- Sport: as much as possible. Can be simply gym, walking (the longer, the better).
- Minimalist: get rid of everything you do not need. You have less to worry about, less to clean.
- Food: I "eat" 4 months per year (try vegetarian), but normally I live the rest of the year on juice, water, tea....
- Drink: as much water as possible, and if possible water with fresh pressed lemon juice. You will see what I mean immediately. The body contains 50 - 70% of water. If you drink a lot it's like an oil change for a car.
- Do every day one good thing (minimum). All will come back to you.
-
great tips thanks for your generous contributions

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
I'm glad to see this thread. Thanks @iloverachel ! I cannot say strongly enough how vital it is to move every day morning and afternoon. Your blood, lymph, brain, and cardiovascular system is just waiting to help you feel better. Give it a go. Start now with a 4 minute walk if nothing else has been happening for you in a long time. If you have issues with pain or weight, then take it super easy and ask a doctor about your plan first.

• Gratitude for what you do have. This is a process which becomes stronger and more flexible as time goes along. It's uncomfortable at first; start by noticing you're on a distressing thought loop, then downshifting to neutral so to speak. The second part is just listen to what you are saying to yourself, then let it go away. If it doesn't and you find yourself on repeat then, as though it's a person you love, ask it to stop for awhile. Third is find a small or large thing to be grateful for, and give it some thought.
This becomes a built-in practice eventually.

• I agree with you and @Astrid78 about drinking water instead of other sweet or artificially sweet drinks. Be careful about putting citrus in every glass of water, as it can be harmful to tooth enamel.

• Link positive things together, actively connect healthy beverages, foods and activities in your day. For ex., I put my drinking carafe by my bed and do my skin and teeth routine at the same time each evening. It helps me get my mind ready for sleep.

• Sleep. Do some research and you'll see it is as important for our health and sanity as food and water. Our brains literally wash themselves at night when we sleep soundly. Without that system, we quickly lose functioning, get depressed, anxious, make errors in judgement etc. There isn't a way to over-ride the need for sleep. Make your bed a great place, unique to what you like and need to be comfortable and safe there.

• Love. This is simple: choose love in your mind each time you start getting down on yourself or others. If you're thinking about how awful a person(s) is, then you're poisoning your own mind. Let it go and think about someone or something you love. Include yourself. Choose love.

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
All things in moderation. For instance small amounts of chocolate can increase serotonin and prevent heart disease. Too much can cause weight gain. A beer a day can be good for the heart. But obviously too much alcohol can destroy the liver. Even socializing should be in moderation. We need to socialize. But we also need time to ourselves. Even too much water can be bad. It can rob the body of salts. Remember to drink plenty of water. Just not too much.

iloverachel

I'm glad to see this thread. Thanks @iloverachel ! I cannot say strongly enough how vital it is to move every day morning and afternoon. Your blood, lymph, brain, and cardiovascular system is just waiting to help you feel better. Give it a go. Start now with a 4 minute walk if nothing else has been happening for you in a long time. If you have issues with pain or weight, then take it super easy and ask a doctor about your plan first.

• Gratitude for what you do have. This is a process which becomes stronger and more flexible as time goes along. It's uncomfortable at first; start by noticing you're on a distressing thought loop, then downshifting to neutral so to speak. The second part is just listen to what you are saying to yourself, then let it go away. If it doesn't and you find yourself on repeat then, as though it's a person you love, ask it to stop for awhile. Third is find a small or large thing to be grateful for, and give it some thought.
This becomes a built-in practice eventually.

• I agree with you and @Astrid78 about drinking water instead of other sweet or artificially sweet drinks. Be careful about putting citrus in every glass of water, as it can be harmful to tooth enamel.

• Link positive things together, actively connect healthy beverages, foods and activities in your day. For ex., I put my drinking carafe by my bed and do my skin and teeth routine at the same time each evening. It helps me get my mind ready for sleep.

• Sleep. Do some research and you'll see it is as important for our health and sanity as food and water. Our brains literally wash themselves at night when we sleep soundly. Without that system, we quickly lose functioning, get depressed, anxious, make errors in judgement etc. There isn't a way to over-ride the need for sleep. Make your bed a great place, unique to what you like and need to be comfortable and safe there.

• Love. This is simple: choose love in your mind each time you start getting down on yourself or others. If you're thinking about how awful a person(s) is, then you're poisoning your own mind. Let it go and think about someone or something you love. Include yourself. Choose love.
Excellent post and those are very good points! I agree with all of them and thanks for taking time out of your day to write all that (this goes to everyone else too)

iloverachel

Great post very happy such positivity.
thank you so much

Another thing I would like to add. Back when i was depressed, I was very negative, miserable and felt somewhat resentful of the world, i didn't really talk about it but i always wrongfully blamed people for making me feel depressed, anxious and alone.

Now its a complete 360, i am happy, positive and turned my life around, and i want to help others now. Exercise and dieting has literally changed my brain and the way i think.

I still get negative thoughts from time to time, but i can easily brush it off and redirect my thoughts

Try to be nice to yourself
Consider this as a reminder to myself, as I'm really struggling with it
But if you tell yourself that you're worthless etc, it will have a huge negative impact
This is all easier said than done, but it's important

Try not to worry all the time.
It's not only a big waste of time, it's soul crushing
Even if you have something to be worried about, worrying about it won't change anything for the better
Personally (as someone who lived in constant worry and fear), what helped it for me was my faith in God.
That something bigger than me was in control

Try to find a purpose in life, if you don't have any
Can be religion, family, helping people, creating something etc
We need a purpose
If you're lonely, getting a pet can be a very good option, if you can take care of it
I feel like this is a very good thing for people who are suicidal or just lonely
A cat is probably a better option than a dog for most, as it's easier to take care of (also we know cats are much cooler than dogs as well ofc :D)
You feel you have a responsibility and purpose, to take care of your pet
But obviously, getting a pet comes with responsibilities, so only if you can manage it. Also realize that dogs and cats live a long time, need to have vet visits and also expenses for food and so on.
Can also be difficult to go places for long periods of time, since you need to have someone looking after your pet
It can be a wonderful thing, but have to be sure you want it and can manage it :)

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$165.00
Goal
$255.00