Letter to my therapist

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by loljenny91, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loljenny91

loljenny91 Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could look over this letter I have written to my therapist, I'm going to give it to her on Wednesday when she comes for a home visit, I would love any extra advice or whether it's an okay letter. It pretty much says all that I'm feeling. Okay here goes...

"I have been having a lot of trouble with attempting to express myself, and I thought it would be a good idea to write down my main concerns.

I cannot seem to relax at any point while I remain in this house, for reasons you are already aware of (constant visits from my eldest brother, making me very uncomfortable). I'm not sure how I can work on this to make me better, as it is the environment around me constantly giving me triggers. This is why I am uneasy during home visits, and would much prefer an option where I could come to your office, if that were possible. If not, I am sure I will learn to manage eventually, it has just been tough over the last few weeks, having to rake up my past and then have it thrown in front of me every time I feel uncomfortable in my own home. Are there places I can go for a respite? Do I qualify for such a place? I think I need a break from this place, as I feel I may do something destructive quite soon sometimes.

Another thing that leaves me feeling constantly anxious and sometimes even enraged is the fact that I cannot enjoy social activities or even go out into my own home town without fear of seeing P. He was violent towards me and has made multiple attempts to assault me, which has left me triggered into fear and hopelessness and I haven't seen any of my friends for months now. The only person I see and trust entirely is my girlfriend Sam, but she is in a refuge in London and I cannot see her all the time.

Because of these concerns, I have been having very bad days of depression, rage and anxiety, and I sometimes feel like doing destructive things to myself (self-harm, binge drinking) and I fear that these feelings will become more intense and happen more often. I was wanting to tell you these things for a while, but never had the courage. I am hoping you can help me. Thank you."

Too lame?

2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

That sounds perfect to me! I do this as well sometimes, write letters to my therapist when I don't feel I can tell her what I'm feeling out loud. And there should definitely be an option to see her somewhere else besides your home.

3. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Its perfect!

4. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Jenny! I love it! It's honest, and I respect that!

My only suggestion would be to modify the underlined part above (maybe instead of "thrown" a word like "discussed or brought up or brought to my attention" would be gentler) because if I were your therapist, I'd think I was doing something wrong by throwing things (although I know it's not literal).

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

That's perfect Jen. Well done hun.

6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

It's sound great !

I do that too when I know it will be hard to express my feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.