Letting go of the past

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by *dilligaf*, Sep 22, 2008.

1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

How do you let go of the past? How do you stop a previous relationship ruining your current relationship? If something happened in a past relationship how do you stop the fear that it's going to happen again from ruining the realtionship you are in now??

:unsure:

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I wish I knew, I guess it takes time and patience on both parties. I hope you get there Sam, I'm sure you will. :hug:

3. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

i've found the only thing for it is just open communication, work, and time. i had alot of baggage that i brought with me into my current relationship. only way i've been able to work past any of it and have it not destroy the relationship was to be very open and honest about it. this way he's not left wondering wtf. this gives him the oppertunity to prove he's a better guy then the last assholes (which most good men/women are more then happy for the chance to do). then its just a matter of time. similar situations come up now and then, and his actions in that situation prove he's different and build trust. in time you retrain how your brain thinks and responds.

but its only possible if you are very honest and forthcoming and if they are willing to stick by you and work through it with you.