Level of Education

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by galalleni, Jul 2, 2008.

?

What level and type of education have you had?

1. Was in special education (below average) in grade school

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. Was in normal/average education in grade school

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Was in gifted education (above average) in grade school

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. Didn't finish Grade School

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Finished Grade School

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. Finished 2 year College

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. Finished 4 year College

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  8. Beyond 4 years of higher education

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Howdy all,

I'm curious as to the level and type of education we've received - if it somehow differs from the majority. I personally was put into special education when I was younger but have since gone to college (for over 6 years, that's another story though).

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I guess I've been educated to a high level, but I'm still stupid. So I'm not sure what this is meant to prove.

3. galalleni

This poll is to see how educated SF members are and if the level of education differs from the majority. I have a strong suspicion that SF members are more educated than average.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I'm still in school right now, so I only chose one choice..

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I have 2 Bachelor's degrees and a Master's.

6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

A BS (lol, in Business Administration) an MS (in Taxation) and a CPA to stick after my name. Or in sum just about what an earlier generation would've gone to a vocational school to get.

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have a 4 yr bachelor's and 2 master's degrees. :biggrin:

8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I'm still *in* school... so I only picked one. I dont think it counts if you *intend* to finish or whatever.

9. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

I was in 'gifted' classes for most of public school.
    went to a 'commune' school for one year of public school
    finished college
    half finished BA Soc while working at an university.
    kD

10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I did pretty well in high school. I went to college for a year and a half then dropped out, so I didn't get any degrees :laugh:

11. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

I went to a Automotive Tech school for a year.How comes there's no choice for Tech Schools? :dry: :tongue:

12. Lady Byron

Lady Byron Well-Known Member

OMG :biggrin:!! I'm finally a Senior in HS :tongue:. One more year to go and then I might go into the Marines for the U.S. After that, university, here I come. . .

13. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

I'm English and our education system is different.. I'm in my second year of university.

14. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

I have PhDs in Parapsychology and Psychology. And now I catch ghosts.

15. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Amount of schooling or what you've done has nothing to do with how intelligent you are. I'd say that about 60 to 70 percent of the people in my university classes are as dumb as bricks if they weren't given the answers. There is a HUGE difference between being able to memorize and actually being intelligent/thinking.

16. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

NedFlanders--that is way too cool, can you tell us about how you got there and some of your experiences?
    kittyD

17. galalleni

Just thought I'd note this - notice how many people who responded have been classified as gifted or have completed a lot of schooling - it's much higher than the average population - which leads me to believe suicidality is higher amongst educated and gifted people.

From this I believe that people with more education ponder life's finer points and think more about where they are at and what they can do about the situations they are in. A very interesting result - this poll is still open for comments and voting although I will be posting more demographic poll's to see where suicidality lies primarily in the general population.

18. Loc

Loc Active Member

I finished High School early and have two IT certificates.I didn't want to go to college or university

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Thing about stats is you never know who to believe.

For example http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/187/1/49 says that for a European study:

and here's a pretty little graph to prove it: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/187/1/49/FIG1

However, this doesn't seem to apply to women. http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/187/1/49/FIG2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i was simultaneously "special" (you need to see a psychologist) "gifted" and also didn't attend school 2-3 days a week. i was also seen as a "truant" a lot...

er.

i'm an extremely uncool three times art school drop out :wootrock:. i actually got a diploma, a pass. it has now been over 2 years and i still haven't received the certificate which was given out of pity and "extenuating circumstances" (i am that special see :cool:). mebbe what my course director said was out of fear; a lie/compromise/placation to keep me under control and not enter their grounds again, i dunno...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.