Lexapro question

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by lostboy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I’m on 40mg’s of Lexapro, and have been on it for about 2 years… But I just read in the above link that no tests have been done to study the long term effects of it (only 36 week trials), and that upping the dosage from 10mg’s to 20mg’s seemed to have no effect… Why the hell am I on 40?...
    This is making me pissed off with my doctor… Does anyone else know if taking this much for so long a time period is normal… wtf…
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Lostboy...I am taking this medication as well, and 40mg is way below the theraputic limit...it is generally a safe medication, and quite effective...please continue to take it and also do not get your medical advise here...speak to your doctor or someone such as a nurse/PA/nurse practioner if you have questions...best of luck

PS...the long term effects of depression is considerably more scary than the long term of many meds
  3. Corieh Infected

Corieh Infected Well-Known Member

I took Lexapro before and it really didn't seem to help me at all, but I've heard that it works really well for other people, and if it's helping you shouldn't change it. If it's not working for you then you should talk to your doctor about wanting a higher dosage or changing the medication. If it's helping though, there's nothing wrong with taking it for such a long time. A lot of people have to take medication for years before they're okay without it.