lexapro to celexa?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by alison, Oct 8, 2010.

1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I'm on lexapro now, and while I don't really feel any different, at least behaviorally I'm coping a lot better than I have on any other antidepressant. A lot of my 'maladaptive behaviors' are basically resolved (no SI, drugs in AGES) - so while I don't really notice feeling any different, my psych says that what has happened with this med isn't trivial.

However, lexapro is expensive! She told me i could switch to celexa, which had a generic which is much cheaper. She said its slightly weaker because of isomers or something -so she told me since I'm on 30 mg of lexapro, she would give me an initial dose of 40 mg of celexa.

Has anyone switched from lexapro to celexa? Do you guys think I should try this? Or should I pay the hefty price for a med I know helps some.

2. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I never been on lexapro but I am on celexa now overall I like it alot the common side effects of citalopram (thats the generic celexa) include drowsiness, insomnia, nausea, weight changes, frequent urination, decreased sex drive, anorgasmia, dry mouth, increased sweating, trembling, diarrhea, excessive yawning, and fatigue. Less common side effects include bruxism, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmia, blood pressure changes, anxiety, mood swings, headache, and dizziness. Rare side effects include convulsions, hallucinations, and severe allergic reactions (I just stole the side effects from wikipedia) the only one I ever had was dry mouth, and overall I think it is a good medication. I am having the same issue with abilify its extemly expensive for me and I don't want to give it up but finically I might have to. But personally if you are on a medication that works, unless you are in finical dire straits why change something that is working.
  3. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I was on Celexa and I actually thought it went pretty good. But due to not being able to find a doctor, I had to stop taking my meds cold turkey (couldnt get a refill). Definitely not a good idea. I have a problem where, when I yawn my body goes limp.. not as bad as it used to be, but seriously it sucked
  4. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

my friend was on lexapro for anxiety and just switched to celexa for the same exact reason (money)

she forgot a dose or two, and it REALLY REALLY messed with her...but it worked up until then...
  5. tigers4343

tigers4343 Member

I'm on 40mg of celexa and it works well. Doc originally was going to try lexapro but the insurance wouldn't approve cuz of cost unless it was a last resort. I have been on the celexa for a while now and have little side effects and it seems to work pretty well. Only issue is don't stop all of a sudden ( which is really any antidepressant) so I say go for it