Liberian girl raped & disowned.

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Anime-Zodiac, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8168480.stm

Found this on the BBC website about a girl who was raped and disowned by her own parents.
    Anyways the other thing which gave some light to this was that there were people across the US willing to donate money or adopt her.

There are still good people out there and I hope for the young girl that she gets all the help and support as well as a new family that will take care of her.

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i found this part funny; as if its saying theres a pro rape campaigners.....

sad story it good that people are coming to support the girl just sad her own family wouldnt do it.

3. Anime-Zodiac

Well according to the family, she has put shame onto them. Unfortunately in cultures/societies like that, the family honour and name is far more important.

4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i know i read the story.

i think its still sad

5. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

i never could understand this.If they care so much about their honor and reputation ,and disowning their own daughter for being victimized this way is their idea of honor..what does that say about their culture?It is time the world made a huge stink about these things.There is NO honor in disowning your own child after they have been so victimized and there is ONLY shame on that whole culture!
    Sheesh.argh:mad:

6. Anime-Zodiac

I see what your saying. Honor is not restored by kicking the daughter out of the family nor was the family honor in pieces when she was raped.

But the thing is that for countless generations, it's always been this way. Also it seems to be women are generally blamed for dis-honor. A guy can perhaps get away with doing something dis-honorable in some way but for a girl it's a lot tougher.

7. ashes_away

mystic eyes so true. It is time communities were not allowed to hide behind ancient traditions.I feel it is everyone's duty on this planet to make it our business when women or people in general are treated this way.People have a right to their own cultures and traditions,but human rights is a universal thing so we must shine the light on the darkness wherever it may be.We cant stop families from disowning their daughters but we can let these people know we do not RECOGNIZE their pathetic idea of honor.Amen to families here in the US willing to adopt this girl.
    sigh.

8. Anime-Zodiac

Well, I guess for those people, honor is everything? The family name in the community is more important then the individuals that make up that family?

I agree that helping these victims or any victim is very important, way more important than tradition or family name.

Anyways hopefully this young girl will be able to get back to having some sort of normal life.

9. ashes_away

well if honor is everything to them,why do they disown their daughters and congratulate men for raping.I dont get it.What am i missing.

10. Anime-Zodiac

There are other factors involved I guess such as cultural and personal influence as well as the type of society. For example in India, having a baby boy is better than having a baby girl.

Things are a lot tougher for Females then Males in my own opinion.
    You'll most likely find that those who follow this system of family name and honor, won't be persuaded. I'm sure there are those who would change though.
    Also from what I know, the head of the family calls the shots, example being a father or if it's a close family then it will be the father and his brothers (uncles) and even the grand-father.

11. as a matter of fact, rape was just outlawed in liberia in like the past ten years. the place is a real sh1thole, no offense to any good ppl living there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.