Licensed to Hold a Firearm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Twocky61, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I am licensed to hold a firearm and though in the uk it is totally different to the US which allows possession of hand guns, we are allowed to hold firearms if we are farmers to use then as a tool for vermin control or one of the very few occupations which require a firearm in their line of work such as Armed Response police officers

Claire my gf holds the key to the gun cabinet and only allows me to have the firearm in the line of my work as a gamekeeper as she knows if I were to have the gun at any other time I am more than likely to use it on myself

Is anyone else a licensed firearms holder and does your partner/parents keep control of it?

2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I live in the States, own several firearms, and am licensed to carry a concealed pistol. I live alone and have sole access to them. However, when things get really bad, I have a friend who I give them to. So far, this has only happened once

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Just like Claire with me She Bear

How do you know when things are bad enough that you need to hand them over to your friend?

Also on that one occassion were you that close to using it on yourself?

More than once Claire has put herself in range of my gun so if I were to pull the trigger the bullet would hit her not me and it is that alone that stops me - I want to die but that does not mean I want her to too - We have an argument then in that I tell her to get out of the way but she stands her ground saying if I kill myself she is coming with me - after that I put the gun down she grabs it & locks it away - she then returns and we hug each other tightly, cuddle and kiss and end up in bed with her head resting on my chest which more than anything makes me feel extremely protective towards her - I stroke her cheek and sleek black long hair and kiss her pretty face

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Twocky, I was under a doctor's care the one time I passed my guns on to a friend. It was something he insisted on. I don't really know if I would have used it or not. I have dealt with suicidal thoughts for over 40 years (on and off) and never made an attempt. But I have also read that if you truly make up your mind to end your life, even the intervention of a friend may not be enough to stop you. So if I do really decide to end it, I may just not pass my guns to a friend. I may just end it. But for now, I continue to chose to struggle.

Thank Claire for me. She has helped keep you around. That's very important.

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

:freehug:

6. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Sounds like a pretty dangerous situation to me. Suicidal thinking can onset rapidly, without much time to clear guns from the scene. Of course, it's a dilemma. In the USA, criminals, say home invasion robbers, may also carry guns and they don't have much respect for anyone's life. The statistical arguments about rarity of this are baloney, since rarity doesn't matter if you happen to be the one who's being robbed or shot. For older citizens, a gun may be the only way they can hope to defend themselves against a physical young male. And they do work pretty well--usually, the gun in a home defense scenario is not fired, just pointing it turns out to be enough persuasion.

I sympathize with the further argument that once a firm decision is made, no one can stop a person's suicide. I believe this is true. I'm less sure in my own case that freedom from ambiguity will hold.

I live in a sort of rough neighborhood, although I don't own a gun because of my fear I will use it for suicide in a moment of unclear thinking. I can't tell anyone else whether to keep one or not, or evaluate any safety system they might employ. But since the cops had to take the last gun I owned away from me while I was threatening to kill myself with it, I just haven't bothered to go try getting another one. I may or may not be on the Brady ban list since a court did decree mental health care at that time, yet no Brady check applies if you go to a private seller on Craigslist. For me, it's just not a good idea.

The crux is that if I do decide firmly, then I will have to go through steps to complete a plan. No handy means are lying about, as getting a firearm or finding a place on the Frontrunner commuter trackway both require at least several hours.

Serious moral dimensions enter, too. What if a friend is intervening to prevent suicide by someone who is holding a gun, and the weapon discharges accidentally? Where I live, that would probably render the would-be suicide liable for homicide charges if either the friend or a bystander were killed. Bullets can go a long way and penetrate walls, windows, ceilings, floors, or automobiles. If a train collision is the method, a body or object rebounding from the impact site can strike someone else, perhaps even the driver or a passenger on the train. If poison is used, the victim losing consciousness may inadvertently start a fire or something. So, there is a certain element of disregard for the lives of others necessarily involved in suicide.

Best of the planet's luck to you each day..., :hail:

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

:freehug: Hatshepsut

:butterfly8:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.