Life after Xanax?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Bob26003, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Hello. For two yrs. now I have been off of xanax. I was on the medication for probably five yrs.. Before I got taken off the medication I was in College and working. I maintained a 3.4 GPA in the Bio. Ed program. After getting taken off the medication I isolated myself, dropped out of school, and quit work. That was two yrs ago, and although I have been through various meds, things have not improved. I still isolate and I feel as if I am being pushed into oblivion.

I did abuse the medication. So they were justified in taking me off of it. Yet now, it feels as if I have no hope. Things that I used to enjoy, I dont anymore, and this is pretty much everything. I have no motivation at all now.

I have given various SSRIs plenty of time, and although they have probably kept me from sinking to the horrible horrible lows, it is not enough. The antipsychotics did not help either, nor the non addictive relaxants which just make me sick.

For sometime now I have been debating seriously harming myself in an attempt to make them realize that my problem is serious. I am not willing to continue like this. I do therapy, but it does not help. The beauty of everything I no longer see.

So....... The question is. What now?

Continue as is. Or do something extreme.

That is all, thank you.

2. Lazer_teeth

Lazer_teeth Well-Known Member

i wasnt gonna write ne thing on this site but your problem is very similar to mine. i was on thaose meds for about a year and i stopped and i feel the same way depressed and really not willing to do much. i miss the ambition the meds used to give me it made me social and gave me wings the only problem was that i was high all the time and started making mistakes(sending
    checks to the wrong ppl) i also becaame an imsomniac. i got over my not wanting to do anything attitude by emersing myself into things i really do enjoy and forcing myself to bed and the even harder task of waking up. there is life after xanax u just gotta be willing to endure it and realize the drug is a artificial way of dealing with the world . dont stress out over it the feeling will pass as long as u replace it with somethiong else the joy for life is still there
    the drug just damages it.

3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Your name suggests otherwise.

Thanks for the input. :ninja:

4. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

There is life afterwards, but it's a long road to happiness. I've been off illegal drugs for 6 years now. However, I relapsed with some prescribed meds earlier this year. So, I'm still trying to recover and find happiness. Has it gotten better after 6 years? A little, but not much. I've still got a long ways to go. I have also been self harming off and on since I was 14 (26 now). Let me be the first to tell you, it does not help. It becomes your drug of choice. You say, oh, I'll just cut a couple times then stop. It's not like that. You literally become addicted too it. And it's even harder to stop than drugs because you can always find some way to cut. You can't get away from the triggers or anything. It's like trying to stop cocaine, yet you work for the mob delivering the stuff. It's almost impossible.

I wish you best of luck in your endeavors and hope that you are able to find a solution that works for you.

5. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

I understand your thoughts. I abused xanax for several years and then overdosed on it. I was in bad shape for a good year after withdrawing from it. I won't say it is easy but it is possible to move past xanax. Is it possible your doc's would consider other similar drugs such as klonipan or ativan? They do not work as fast as xanax but are in the same sedative family. Just a thought. Good luck.

6. sosotired

sosotired Well-Known Member

Well I take Valium quite regularly, I think its the same type of drug but takes longer to wear off so its not as addictive as Xanax. Good luck overcoming it, this site has a lot of helpful information - http://www.benzo.org.uk/

When you say you abused it how much were you taking a day?

7. bipolarkitty

bipolarkitty Well-Known Member

I remember my days on xanax. I loved that stuff. But I also abused it. I once took a whole month's worth in one afternoon. I lost a whole week due to amnesia from that and my husband says I was out of it that whole time. They took me off it after that. That was 11 years ago.

I'm currently facing a situation where I'll most likely be put on a regular dose of anti-anxiety meds again. Them prescribing xanax is a possibility. I know I should tell my doctor about my history with this drug. But part of me doesn't want to. There's another part of me, though, that knows there's a good chance I'll abuse it if I have it. I'm just so anxious lately. And all the stuff I was going through then that caused them to give it to me is popping back up. So I really want it. *sigh* I should tell them so they won't give me the chance. Cause in the state I'm in, I really shouldn't be trusted with it. Too much temptation.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know I know what you're going through. And it does get easier. Until this situation, I'd stopped thinking about xanax and was ok with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.