Life and a diagnosis.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Skott, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skott

Skott New Member

I am going to try and be as blunt as possible. I am a 25 year old gay man who came out to his family and was thrown out like a used tissue paper. I haven't talked to any of them in 4 years and they haven't tried to contact me since either. I was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons disease. If you don't know what that is, look it up. In my eyes my life is already over. I haven't had a friend ever since I came out. I barely leave my shithole apartment or even get out of bed most of the time. I stared at a bottle of Perkicet all day today. I want to take it so badly. Why shouldn't I? What waits for me? Eventual death to a disease and an unloved corpse.
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Unbelievable that in this day and age people are still homophobic :mad:
    Have you tried talking to your family since? Maybe something can be salvaged.

How awful to have Parkinsons at such a young age :eek:hmy: :hug:
    However, medicine has come on leaps and bounds with treatment for this disease and there are many alternatives to make life as bearable as possible.
    Make sure you get all the info on it and tackle your doctor to make sure you get the best treatment plan for you.
    Also, how about joining a Parkinsons support group, there's bound to be one somewhere near you and it would help with the isolation.
    Meanwhile there are friends a plenty to make on the forum, most of us chat over on MSN as well as in the chat room, I know it's not quite the same as a friend in the flesh but some good solid friendships have been formed here. :hug:
  3. ashli113

ashli113 New Member

Even though you may have lost your family and your friends, you are not alone. You could join a support group in your area. Don't be afraid to be who you are. Your disease can be managed.
    Somedays I don't get out of bed either but at the same time, I have myself to think about... you have to know that you are worthwhile and that there is somebody out there waiting for you.
  4. Couldn't possibly say more, or say it any better than what Terry wrote...!
  5. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

completely agree that it's unbelievable that your family would be homophobic. Please don't tell me you're from a Christian fundamentalist family background ..

I hope you can hang around here for a bit. take care.
  6. Skott

Skott New Member

I feel better now and thanks for your replies, especially Terrys. I was in a really bad moment when I typed that. I ended up taking 2 perkicet and falling asleep. It was nice to be able to say that to someone else. I found a Parkinson's support group in the city next to mine that meets every Friday, I think I'll go to it. It meets in a church though so that makes me nervous. I don't feel very welcome in those places. If nothing comes from it I'm sure I will at least meet new people I can relate to.

About my family... they are devout Catholics from a strong Military background. They are very much anti-gay, I've known this my entire life and when I came out I was expecting it and was already packed to leave before they even knew. I was 18 at the time. It was a choice of insanity or freedom. I'm not sorry to say I picked my own life over that of my families.

I talked to them through a family friend for 2 years+ because they refused to talk to me in person. It wasn't getting any better, infact it got worse the more I tried so I gave up. I ended up changing my name. I won't have anything to do with them anymore. Although, I will always feel badly that it didn't go the way it should have with my family. I don't like to blame people but it really was their fault for not giving me a chance. That's how I live with it anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I'm sorry your family rejected you, although some time has gone by it's still gonna hurt. I have many friends who experienced the same thing when they came out, and a lucky few, like me, whose parents came around after an initial shock! you won't be alone in your struggle against depression, nor in any other way. I'm glad you found us and hope you will continue to post as you need,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

it frustrates me to know end that people cannot except each other for who they are. You are not a different person because you came out. They can be so naive. I am sorry your family chose to do things this way, but it sounds like you have learned to deal with it. Going to a support group for Parkinsons is a great idea. With the medical advances they have in this area, it can be managed quite well for a long time. Maybe more things will be discovered in the near future and you can find relief there. You don't have to be alone. We are here for you. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.