Life changes

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by kitty_uk, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitty_uk

kitty_uk New Member

Hey, I just came across this forum whilst looking for information on suicidal patients and how they would be treated and I thought I would post something up. I used to suffer with terrible depression when I was younger, and I also tried to OD myself, once. I think most of it linked back to abuse in my childhood. I won't explain because it's complicated but deep down that made me very, very depressed.

But then, one day, when I actually started to feel better, I thought to myself why the hell have I been feeling that way for so long? And the only conclusion that I could come to was that I was completely and utterly obsessed with myself and couldn't look any further than my own misery. And I look back now and realise that half of what I have suffered has been my own doing. I spent time, like many of you are doing now, going on forums, talking about my problems and how I plan to end my life when in the end I could have been using that time to actually improve my life. And once I realised that being six feet under in a wooden box is NOT freedom I started to look at things differently.

There are so many things that you can do in life and if you can just pull your heads from out your own backsides for just ten minutes, you may realise it. (I don't mean that cruelly, but this is something I realised about myself.)

In the end, you need money?? Go get a better job. Do everything you can to improve your skills.. you're obviously not that hard up if you can afford a pc.
    You want a man/woman?? You're not gonna get one sat in the house talking on forums. And you're sure as hell not gonna realise that all of that stuff really isn't that important in the end unless you bring yourself back into the real world.

I'm not saying that everyone can be saved, because some people are just so determined to be miserable that it's actually what makes them happy (in an odd sense) But if somebody can read this and maybe just re-evaluate themselves, even a little and see what they are doing to themselves then it would make writing this worthwhile.

Hope you all take care of yourselves and find some meaning in life :)

xx

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

lol, this post really made me laugh.

I'm glad that that theory works for you. But it doesn't work for everyone, and can actually be very offensive.

There are people on this site that dont just suffer depression (which is a chemical imbalance and illness), there are people here with a host of mental health problems, who are trying their hardest to fight.

As far as I can work out, you have a pretty ignorant attitude to mental health, and your attitude seems to sum up those that have little or no education about mental health issues. Yes, sure, there are times when people do need to realise that they can do things to help yourself, but not always.

Can I ask, why are you researching? (I am concerned about what this answer might be, in all honesty)

I hope that SF can teach you about people who are suicidal and ill and that you can benefit from what we have to offer.

Take care of yourself

3. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

FYI - talking to people actually helps fight depression. Alot of people can't face talking to someone they know about it in the first instance, so talking to people here can be a really useful step towards talking to family and friends. If w're doing that, aren't we improving our lives?

Oh, and another note - methods are prohibited here (this is a pro life site after all), but we all know how little good holding feelings in does people - another way of improving your life!

And forums are an integrated part of my life - they are not my whole life, so don't just presume that that's the case just by my being here. Otherwise, how on earth would I have got to that Rocky Horror gig last week?

Stop taking everything so seriously, and especially at face value. If you looked around a little, you'd realise that what you've just said sounds like you're talking about another site!

Take care.

4. kitty_uk

kitty_uk New Member

I apologise to those people I have offended by offering you my view of life and my own findings, after all how dare I have an opnion which doesn't involve feeling depressed and leaving behind those I love. I know I have little or no right to talk about chemical imbalances and that kind of stuff and I was by no means saying that what I said applies to everybody on this forum, as I know damn fine it doesn't. But on the other hand, I know from my own experiences that there are also a lot of people out there who are having the same problems I used to have. I am merely giving you my view on life now looking back at the way I have behaved in the past. I don't consider myself to be unqualified to talk about this subject as I have been through depression myself. Sometimes it can be helpful to people to realise that things seems a lot more trivial once you are over that hard stage. It would have been helpful to me back then.

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Like I said before, it's really good that looking at it like that helped you.

Different things help different people, and no one deserves to feel bad, so it's great that you don't anymore.

6. RainbowChaser

Yes, but you also sound like you've just joined to say that, without looking at the forum! There are alot of people here who are just here to help others - for example, I haven't attempted for over 6 months, but I joined here less than a month ago. Support is the name of the game here, not just telling people to get over it, because most depressed/suicidal people don't just snap out of it like it seems you're saying you did - you're one of a few lucky ones if that's the case, because most of us have to work at it for a long time. It's nearly a year since I had a nervous breakdown, and I'm only just getting to a point where I can say I'm okay.

People are positive here alot of the time - from your reply I can tell you haven't been around to see it yet. I've seen alot in a month, and if I've learnt anything it's to lead by example, and not to use your first post to make people feel worse.

7. kitty_uk

kitty_uk New Member

I have read a lot of this forum so seemingly I'm not the one jumping to conclusions. Also, for someone to say I am uneducated on mental health issues is completely ridiculous considering no-one knows a jot about me or my background and how many problems I have had with schizophrenia and other mental health issues in my family. Nothing I said above is to make people feel worse about themselves. I'm not trying to insult anyone and say it is easy to get over, because it's not. It took me years and years of counselling and half the time you think you're getting worse rather than better. But I did realise for myself at least, that constantly mulling over how crap I felt about myself didn't help. InsteadI could have become more active and motivated in taking positive steps in my life which would help me day in day out. I know that post will actually help very few people, but if there is one person who reads it, who is even slightly like I was back then, then I don't mind. Flame me all you want, but there are different ways of approaching the problems and the softly softly approach never worked for me. So if this doesn't help you in anyway, then fine. But it may help someone else.

8. RainbowChaser

If it helps one person, is it worth hurting the two people who've already come to me telling me that this post has hurt them?

9. emaalgel

emaalgel Guest

Hey Kitty. First I would like to say congratulations. And thank you for taking the time to post. As you have meantioned you could be learning different skills. Indeed I would like to invite you to take a look aroud this forums. If you do so you will learn many many other skills. One of the most valuables skills you will learn here is the skill of giving. Every induvidual is unique. I am sure they also have different ways of dealing with their depression. I also dont belive that a human can only be happy when they are miserable. Its good for you that you have snaped out of depression. It is also good to hear that you dont live in a forum. Well most of us dont live here. I come here almost everyday. Just to give and geta hug mostly. I have a live just as you do. I am a nursing student and I hold a management position job. I have beenn depressed lately and it does help me when I come by. I was thinking that the forum you frequented must have helped you. Because you kept coming back. Then eventually you got better. And now you are just forgeting it. And with all do respect. To me it is like spiting on the plate you ate:eek:hmy: . So just sit dow and relax my friend. Look around and and give. Just accept others. We are all here in this earth seeking for the light. Lets give hands and make a umbreakable chain. A chain of compassion. A chain of acceptance, A chain of peace. And a chain of human empowerment.
    Peace and love my friend.

10. Evo_L

Evo_L Well-Known Member

Kitty has a point in ways, I guess people are very self-indulgent in ways but having a PC isn't a sign of wealth. I've got PC and i've got about 56p to last me till the middle of next week.

11. CM 1000

CM 1000 Guest

kitty_uk,
    I believe that it is difficult for you to make to the difference between you other people for the simple reason which you did not have an archetypal idea of you kill that other people have this archetypal idea to commit suicide and that it is very difficult to fight against this idea not to say almost impossible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.