Life is a cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally realized how we generally feel now is how we're going to feel in 5, 15, 50 years. We may go through brief periods of pleasure and contentment with life fooling ourselves all is well, but in the back of our minds, we know we're still in the shadow of despair. It continues gnawing at us until we wake up to it realizing how much worse it became during our episode of denial, which furthers us into more dissatisfaction with our abilities, potential to succeed, and life in general.

Reki

You're letting pessimism warp your logic. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I know my moods can change at the drop of a hat depending on what is going on in my life. If I have no hope, no plans, nothing to look forward to then I tend to single out the negatives in every aspect of my situation, magnify them and convince myself that despair is truth and we never really escape, that the daily things that make us smile are simply platitudes and when they're gone the core of what we are, very lonely individuals, resurfaces. It really does depend on you and what you believe, there are people out there that believe just the opposite, that we are all fundamentally happy and although clouds may pass the sun will always come out again eventually.

Try not to let it eat at you too much, life is much larger than we are and while I can't tell you that things will get better maybe you can find some solace in the thought that life is change and as long as we live the possibility exists. It can't be sunny all the time but you have to go outside and check, if you just sit inside and tell yourself that it's still raining you never know what you might be missing.

Anime-Zodiac

I guess life is and isn't a cycle. We gain experience, possessions, connections, each unique to it's own. Although your daily life might be the same but in the long run things do change.

ToddMAdl

I'm a pessimist as well and I've always figured life was paradise lost. However, I've heard stories from many different people on their outlook on life. I've heard of people that have always been happy, I've heard of people that have never been happy, I've heard of people that were sad for a long time and eventually found happiness and I've heard of people that were happy for a long time and then became sad and depressed. It just depends on the person. I don't like my life right now but what keeps me going is that it will get better. You have to look at what you think will make you the happiest. What is your passion? What are your dreams? That's what you have to ask yourself and go for that, otherwise you will get nowhere and you will always be unhappy and unfulfilled. You have to figure out what you truly want. I've thought like you have many times, I don't think this world is great and I hate the attitude that you have to make the best of it but it really is true. You have to find out what you truly want and what you think will truly make you happy because it is possible to overcome pessimism and I'm fighting the same uphill battle as well.

Forget It, I'm right there with you with the cycles thing. I'm feeling a bit "up" right now, so the looming periods of despair don't bother me as much, but I know they're just around the corner.

It helps me not to think of my life as happy or unhappy at any particular moment. I've had days when I'm optimistic and, dare I say, bubbly, in the morning, but extremely depressed and suicidal by late afternoon. And you're right: the fall is a lot harder when I've been higher than usual. But in most cases, my days are a more complex mixture of the two, so this fall isn't so shocking.

Right now, my life is just...okay, which is fine with me. There are some things I'd really like to change, but I can't say I'm miserable either. I'm old enough now to know that I'll never be "happy" the way some people are. But as long as I'm okay, I don't feel bad about not being happy. In all honesty, happy people usually annoy me, anyway. The world is a cruel, unjust place controlled by like-minded people. The only way to be happy all the time is to be severed from reality.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
The only way to be happy all the time is to be severed from reality.
The only time I feel the world is not just one looming threat after another is when I regress to a juvenile somewhat pollyanic state of mind. Generalized anxiety disorder along with my OCD make simple mundane "adult" responsibilities and concerns overwhelming. Therapy and medication seem at the end of their usefulness. I don't want keep taking this pounding.

I guess I'm trying to say for me to feel any lasting calm or pleasure I have to be an ostrich and when I pull my head out of the sand my nerves get pounded and I become vulnerable to bouts with depression which are getting longer and more severe. I do have blessings which I concentrate on but bleh with the whole cycle. I don't like to even think of being alive thing much longer.

Hi Forget it,

I notice not even having allot of money will make you happy only loving the one person that is in your heart... All else just sucks

Best of luck

its all about making sex, power and money not formal in your life meaning
making it by letting go of all these things else they can ruin you one way or other...

:blink:

OutCaste

I agree life isn't always total suffering, because we have moments of happiness. But think about it, that happiness is fleeting, and is not sustainable. It becomes unsatisfactory so easily because of this inner competition. We never can get all we want of the good stuff and we never can be fully at peace in a sustainable way. There is always this sense of wanting something more, of craving, of wanting the good moments to remain, and of fearing the bad ones which may come. Of regretting things we didn't do and of craving the opportunities to do the things we want. We spend our lives striving and craving and wanting and regretting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00