Life is Simple

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Cicada 3301, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I'm just going to talk from my perspective, which is based in Western culture. Obviously it may not be the same for everyone, but I imagine if you have an internet connection and are viewing this thread then you have probably been through some of what is below.

Life is simple, it's actually very easy. You go to school/high-school/college/university for your formative years and are given the opportunity to learn a lot about the going's on on this planet. This prepares you for your next stage - finding a job and a suitable career. Once you are able to do this you can bring home money to feed yourself, clothe yourself and keep yourself warm. If you do it well enough you can bring home enough money to cover your expenses and have money over to spend on materialistic goods. After a while you have worked long and hard enough that you no longer need to leave your home vacant all day just to keep ownership of it. In fact, you've hit a stage where you can stop working and live the rest of your life enjoying all that you have accomplished, in a home with belongings you have earned and paid for throughout your life (well done you).

I once read a quote that hit me really hard, it is pretty much the inspiration (if you could call it that) for this thread. “Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.”

Am I missing something? Because to be totally honest I don't want to do this, I'm afraid to do this, and frankly I'd rather die than do this. I don't want to grow up, I want to give up. Thank you for reading my post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
  2. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

Well if you want to indulge some serious existential angst I suggest you pick up a copy of the book Fight Club. It will make your quote seem laughably lacking. “I am the rising bile of growing dissatisfaction in Cicada's life.” (It is a good book.)

But okay let me play with your logic a bit. I am a person that hates washing up it is a banal thing to have to do. Because I don't want to do it I should just kill myself. I mean it is a great solution no washing up or dirty dishes that you clean only for them to get dirty again in an endless cycle of horrifying pointlessness. That seriously misses the point of life though.

Let me dissect the quote for you, it is a good quote but likely is not intended for the Depressively suicidal to reflect on as justification for not facing reality as it is. It is more an absurdism pointing out the seeming stupidity of everything. Don't get me wrong, life is full of the stupid. But as you pointed out you don't drink from mud puddles as a means to survive.

I can think of few jobs you can go to naked... Even if you were to make your own clothes that would require materials you would still have to buy. So this entire section actually only covers a tiny fraction of the reality. It is nice and poetic though.

You know what else a car is beyond a cost burden. It is the freedom to go places. Cars generally don't just go to work. I used to take mine to a nature reserve and park it nicely, where it would sit outside of traffic until I was good and ready to leave the nature reserve. It has also taken me to aqua springs, which is a kinda day spa. It has also allowed me to take my friends up to a festival, there was indeed traffic but the end result of arrival and experience made it worth it. Cars don't just sit in traffic. Ultimately they represent a freedom to go places. Sure you are paying for it. But money is the new god, get used to appeasing it so you can have a life.

No shit sherlock, This simply states the obvious. You generally need a job to buy life experiences. That is what work should be a platform to. Buying life experiences that you can remember. If you only live to work you have missed the balance, or you really find fulfilment in your work... Also there is nothing wrong with material possessions, you are using one you likely bought to write this post. So you can have the experience of getting feedback from annoying people like me.

Well that is bleak, If you are paying the mortgage on a house, I would hope you have amazing BBQ's in the back garden with your friends and family over. With screaming kids running amok and getting hand stains on the patio window and plenty of washing up that reflects that people ate well. Or I would hope your home on the weekends is vacant, because you are out sitting in traffic going somewhere you have earned enough to go enjoy. Because life is about the memories you have. Not the bills, not the sitting in traffic and not the stuff. But having a laugh till 4am gaming with friends. Or what ever floats your personal boat.

Death as far as I am concerned is final. There is nothing and so even washing up is a special privileged, especially as I am not being bombed while doing it or having to worry some one is about to kick the door in.

If you narrow your focus to everything that is banal then life will seem banal because that is all you are focusing on. To run from the seemingly banal is to run from the experiences of life you can have that exist beyond the seeming drudgery. That my friend is maybe what you are missing sight of.

Take care and maybe think on it.

3. Cicada 3301

Lol thank you Adam, your post made me laugh and cheered me up a bit! I'll reply properly later, you made some really good points

4. Cicada 3301

I have seen the film, but I will look out for a copy of the book next time I am in Waterstones.

That's why they invented dishwashers

I agree that it's not intended for reflection in that way, I find the quote extremely funny, even share it with friends and family when I can remember to. It was just that last night I was in a really bad way and that warped my thinking. All I could think was that I have to do all these things and there is no substance to them, no reason/point. That sounds really nice, do you not drive anymore? I used to have a car and all I needed was a cd and a place to drive to, it didn't matter where because I could just take my mind off of things and feel free. I have a job now, but it's not really where I want to be, I'm waiting to finish a few pieces of work at university before moving onto (hopefully) a graduate job or somewhere more fulfilling. Don't get me wrong, I like the job and staff are amazing, I've made some new friends, but the boss pisses me off and the pay is a little less than I want right now. I've just been saving up the money I've earned, I'm not really sure what to do with it now, should I save it or should I spend it? I never know what to do with money. "Also there is nothing wrong with material possessions, you are using one you likely bought to write this post. So you can have the experience of getting feedback from annoying people like me." Ahahaha. Thanks for your feedback, it was great :)

I think this is the part I was missing yesterday. I was in a bad state. I think maybe I intentionally left out all of the great things in life that make it worthwhile. I wrote without putting in anything about friends, family, partner, colleagues. It's really nice what you said and a completely different way to look at that quote. All of that floats my boat to be honest.

"If you narrow your focus to everything that is banal then life will seem banal because that is all you are focusing on. To run from the seemingly banal is to run from the experiences of life you can have that exist beyond the seeming drudgery. That my friend is maybe what you are missing sight of."

Yes... I think last night I just wanted to hurt myself and convince myself that there is nothing for me here. It only took your post to show me the exact opposite, that "life is about the memories you have. Not the bills, not the sitting in traffic and not the stuff. But having a laugh till 4am gaming with friends." There is a lot of things I want to do and learn still, but every so often this thought comes back where I question everything that is commonplace - "Why am I going to work, why do I do the things I do when I could just not do them". It's silly things like that and it holds me back. Lately it's been domestic drudgery and it's holding me back from all the experiences that exist beyond that, like you said. Today I wanted to read, game, listen to music, play chess, watch films and tv shows, learn something about history. I felt I could not do any of it because there are things to do around the house, but that shouldn't matter. I will get the dull tasks out of the way first and then I can get round to doing some of what I want :)

Thank you for your response, I appreciate what you said and taking out time to reply. I'll think on it some more definitely.

5. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Ugh! You two are having entirely to much Fun!

Both of You were/are enjoyable, thanks, I did smile and Laugh!, I know it is hard for me to believe as well! Trust Me! I Did

6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Yep, most days that seems to about cover it. Except you left out the part that once you get home from work, you just clean up and get ready for the next day. And week ends are meant for cleaning house, washing clothes and taking care of the yard.

And that would we a totally meaningless existence if you didn't include some of the good things. Chatting with friends on SF, going to a movie, watching a sunset (I try NOT to get up early enough to see a sunrise), rejoicing when a storm doesn't take your power down, having a special meal once in a while, perhaps going somewhere on vacation.....And if you get really lucky, finding someone to share your life with.

Some dude once said, "Little things mean a lot". So I guess you could say that going to work is a rather big thing, so it doesn't mean that much. But making a friend smile, a small thing, is worth a fortune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.