Life is worth living

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Cherela, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherela

Cherela New Member

I know what it is like to suffer from depression. It is an illness of the brain. And depression kills...it is the leading reason for suicide. I've been suicidal. I overdosed on medication when I was 19 years old and almost died. My mother and grandfather both killed themselves. Depression runs in my family.

Now I'm 46 and I'm glad I'm alive. Even when life is difficult, I'm thankful for the years I have lived since age 19, years that I might have missed if I had died then. *I would have missed being Marc's wife and Gabe's mother. I would have missed so many happy times. I will have to take antidepressants for the rest of my life. I'm just thankful that they work.

So I can say, if anyone thinks of killing themselves, don't do it...call a friend, call 911, call your doctor...call someone. You don't know how much your family and friends will miss you if you die. How they'll wonder what they could have said or done to stop you. How every year your birthday and date of death will renew the grief and anger they feel.

Depression is an illness. Medication works. Therapy works. Friends help. Exercise helps. Don't give up, don't give in...live another day as best you can.

Life is precious. Please don't throw it away.

In memory of David Marcus, Marcia Hanna, and Harold Fricke.

2. truthleaker

truthleaker New Member

Noone really loves me other than my mom. One of the resaons I'm alive I think is because my mom is also alive..
    If shes gone "think about all the people that will miss you" will be rendered useless..

3. letmego3

letmego3 Well-Known Member

Same here.

Yeah depression is a beast. It may eventually kill me too. I'm sorry about your mother and grandfather and I hope they are happy and joyful where ever we go when we die. Thanks for sharing your life experience.

Btw truthleaker and Cherela welcome to this forum :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  4. sadguy33

sadguy33 Banned Member

I really doubt I will have anything to look forward such as a wife etc. I just live because of the off chance I'm wrong but more and more it seems certain.

5. Giovanni91

Giovanni91 Member

Thanks Cherela for coming on this forum and helping us "suiciders", it means so much.

I think we should all learn to start loving ourselves even with all our flaws and mistakes.

Self-love is the cure.

We must each be our own best friend. :smile:

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Husband? I am a lousy husband to a woman I don't love. Father? I am a virgin, and even if that changes, I will probably never have children of my own. Family? Lol, I'd be surprised if they even remember who I am. Friends? Besides the people I know here, I have no real friends. "Thinking about the people who will miss me" is not enough to keep me here, because there aren't many who would miss me, and the few who who might would get over it as I am very easy to forget.

However, all that being said, I do prefer to live, if for nothing else because I see others who have found happiness, and I want that for myself. Because I am selfish. I want to be happy, for my benefit, because I think I deserve it. As Giovanni says, self love is the most important love of all. Not that other kinds of love aren't important too, but you have to first believe that you are worthy of such love. And that is something I sometimes struggle with. But I'm trying to care enough about myself to give myself the benefit of the doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.