Life over 50

Waves

No one educated me about preparing for life over 55 much less with depression and anxiety. I worry about surviving, meeting basic needs. At this age people are cast aside and not appreciated or wanted. I made the mistake of not marrying and having a family. Now I am all alone and petrified. Afraid I can't live on fixed income after working 30 years. I think about ending it all. Tried medication, moved, joined a Church still no friends. People stay with family. Reality. Yes I pray. Only slither of hope. I feel guilty because chatters talk about self pity. When is it appropriate to ask for support and when is it self pity?

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I understand @Devenny I am well over 50, never married. Pretty much alone. Church is my only real family. Brother spends most of his time in Thailand, niece is busy with 4 kids of her own. Am terribly afraid of not being able to meet me needs. Living is so expensive. Being alone was great when young, but now? I think about ending it all every day. Especially now that health is not good. But I keep muddling on. Guess I will keep doing so, at least for now. You are totally correct in asking for support. You are NOT asking for pity any more then I am. Just understanding.

Waves

I understand @Devenny I am well over 50, never married. Pretty much alone. Church is my only real family. Brother spends most of his time in Thailand, niece is busy with 4 kids of her own. Am terribly afraid of not being able to meet me needs. Living is so expensive. Being alone was great when young, but now? I think about ending it all every day. Especially now that health is not good. But I keep muddling on. Guess I will keep doing so, at least for now. You are totally correct in asking for support. You are NOT asking for pity any more then I am. Just understanding.
Silly bear

Didn't realize how much we have in common. Hard to know in room where it is mostly chit chat. I have anxiety attacks every day. Feel like a hostage to them because I could do so much more without them. Who couldn't? I understand. I fear I will never get better as I am plagued with chronic adrenal fatigue syndrome. Do you suffer from such a thing? Robs me of time and pleasure. How do you live? Make it? Or are you better? Thank you for acknowledging my need for support. Wish we all had it in real life. I was suicidal last fall and I ask God to take me in my sleep. Comes in waves. I pray and hope for better times. Feel so persecuted. And I am at work. They say God is with me not that he is shielding me from evil. Interesting distinction. I welcome hearing from you and others as I have no one t talk to. Thank you, Devenny

Waves

Sending you hugs...and agree with @SillyOldBear there is nothing wrong with asking for support as we all need support and understanding...please take to heart that you do matter and aren't alone and we are all here for you so encourage you to keep posting...
THANK YOU Kiwi. You are sweet. Life is hard but mostly because of human actions in my case followed by depression and anxiety. So support and your support is appreciated

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@Devenny Hey, private conversation me any time. Am 66. Still working. Been laid off 5 times, so have almost no money. Its a crappy little company but allows me to live. Can't really relate to anyone who works. Have generalized anxiety disorder. Have tranqs for when it gets really bad. Don't have anxiety attacks every day, but have had them. THEY SUCK! Am most comfortable hiding in my home, but can't survive that way. Don't have adrenal fatigue syndrome, but have trouble with both my colon and urinary track. Gotta stay close to bathroom. Have more tests scheduled but not until late July. They are all books up. Am just existing. Most every night I ask God to take me in my sleep. God never promised us an easy life, just that He would be with us in both good and bad times. Just does not seem like enough, does it. I look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you better.
Barb

Waves

@Devenny Hey, private conversation me any time. Am 66. Still working. Been laid off 5 times, so have almost no money. Its a crappy little company but allows me to live. Can't really relate to anyone who works. Have generalized anxiety disorder. Have tranqs for when it gets really bad. Don't have anxiety attacks every day, but have had them. THEY SUCK! Am most comfortable hiding in my home, but can't survive that way. Don't have adrenal fatigue syndrome, but have trouble with both my colon and urinary track. Gotta stay close to bathroom. Have more tests scheduled but not until late July. They are all books up. Am just existing. Most every night I ask God to take me in my sleep. God never promised us an easy life, just that He would be with us in both good and bad times. Just does not seem like enough, does it. I look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you better.
Barb[/QUOTE

Hi Barb,

I welcome conversations with you. Just discovered Forum. Are there others like you and me here? Older and struggling? Did not think it would be this way. No one does. Seniors are not respected as in the old days. So where does the sympathy and support come from? You are a soldier plowing through. So lonely. So many of us are and yet we can't find each other. Thank you, Devenny

cymbele

SF Supporter
I'm 58 and very terrified of the future. I've been laid off many more times than I can count. My resume is a wreck and I have trouble getting a job despite many years of experience. I am terrified of losing my med insurance. My health is in decline and I spend most of my time out of work very depressed. I have a daughter but she has her own life now that she is an adult and my ex hubby has his own life. So if it weren't for my few friends I would be totally alone. As it is most weekends I am alone because I don't want to bother them too much. If it weren't for this forum I would probably be dead. Take heart and keep posting. It really helps.

Waves

I'm 58 and very terrified of the future. I've been laid off many more times than I can count. My resume is a wreck and I have trouble getting a job despite many years of experience. I am terrified of losing my med insurance. My health is in decline and I spend most of my time out of work very depressed. I have a daughter but she has her own life now that she is an adult and my ex hubby has his own life. So if it weren't for my few friends I would be totally alone. As it is most weekends I am alone because I don't want to bother them too much. If it weren't for this forum I would probably be dead. Take heart and keep posting. It really helps.
Hi Cymbele

Never see you in chat so good to meet you. Sorry about your fears. I share them. Glad you have friends if needed. And you have a daughter albeit busy. I appreciate your empathy and hope we can talk here. Support is therapeutic and in my case life saving. Put on hold by suicide prevention hotline???? And they never returned. Thank you, Devenny

chronic adrenal fatigue syndrome
I don't know anything about the condition but have you ever tried dietary changes? What sort of things do you eat currently? When did the condition begin?

And yeah, the way society is set up sucks. I learned that early on but I just don't want kids and I had to split from my ex last year. Thing is, kids grow up and go off and do their own thing anyway, there are people who have a big family that never or rarely visit them sadly. My family are hopeless so I'm isolated too but in my thirties. Have you tried to find out if there are groups you could go to with people in similar situation?

Last edited:

Waves

I don't know anything about the condition but have you ever tried dietary changes? What sort of things do you eat currently? When did the condition begin?

And yeah, the way society is set up sucks. I learned that early on but I just don't want kids and I had to split from my ex last year. Thing is, kids grow up and go off and do their own thing anyway, there are people who have a big family that never or rarely visit them sadly. My family are hopeless so I'm isolated too but in my thirties. Have you tried to find out if there are groups you could go to with people in similar situation?
Thank you Magiclynx. Yes I need to get back to eating better. List it last year after breakdown. Thank you for the advice. Devenny.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@cymbele So another one of use old goats is on SF. I am sorry to hear it. I wish the elderly were more respected. Guess we are just useless trash ready to be tossed aside. Its downright criminal.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Spent entirely too much time thinking about what the future holds. It scares the shit out of me. Am currently working on reapplying for financial assistance on medical care. Without it, I could not have have care. Cannot have next test doc wants me to have until 7/25. They are booked solid. Am in pain almost all the time. Cannot sleep through a night because of constant need to urinate. Health is tanking fast. And if I can't work I might as well be dead.

Have no money. Cannot live on Social Security. Can hardly live on what I have now. Property taxes are ghastly. Right now I qualify for reduced taxes. And property value was frozen a much lower prices then they are now. But may lose that reduction. If I make over 40,000 a year I lose the reduction. Would gain it again when I went on Social Security, but at a much higher level. That is because property would be appraised at new, higher value. So it would be taxed more. And state always wants to raise taxes regardless of how many people can't afford it. No way could I afford it. Don't live in Seattle, thank goodness. They want to raise taxes, again, to pay for community college for all high school graduates. Nice thought, but not reasonable. Plus Medicare and supplemental plans would have to be paid if I can't work. Cannot afford them. Not to mention car and home insurance, utilities, food, home and car maintenance. I have so fucked up this life. Suicide will never be easy, but may become the only viable option. Then I've thought about selling all my stuff except what would fit in my car and just living in it and driving around the country until I die.

Silly bear

Didn't realize how much we have in common. Hard to know in room where it is mostly chit chat. I have anxiety attacks every day. Feel like a hostage to them because I could do so much more without them. Who couldn't? I understand. I fear I will never get better as I am plagued with chronic adrenal fatigue syndrome. Do you suffer from such a thing? Robs me of time and pleasure. How do you live? Make it? Or are you better? Thank you for acknowledging my need for support. Wish we all had it in real life. I was suicidal last fall and I ask God to take me in my sleep. Comes in waves. I pray and hope for better times. Feel so persecuted. And I am at work. They say God is with me not that he is shielding me from evil. Interesting distinction. I welcome hearing from you and others as I have no one t talk to. Thank you, Devenny
Devenny: I am situationally very similar to you and Silly Old Bear. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like to communicate. (I think we may have even chatted once in the chat support room.) Take care!

Waves

Devenny: I am situationally very similar to you and Silly Old Bear. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like to communicate. (I think we may have even chatted once in the chat support room.) Take care!
Thank you Doingbadly
Would welcome chatting. Feeling lost without kindred spirits.
Devenny

Waves

Spent entirely too much time thinking about what the future holds. It scares the shit out of me. Am currently working on reapplying for financial assistance on medical care. Without it, I could not have have care. Cannot have next test doc wants me to have until 7/25. They are booked solid. Am in pain almost all the time. Cannot sleep through a night because of constant need to urinate. Health is tanking fast. And if I can't work I might as well be dead.

Have no money. Cannot live on Social Security. Can hardly live on what I have now. Property taxes are ghastly. Right now I qualify for reduced taxes. And property value was frozen a much lower prices then they are now. But may lose that reduction. If I make over 40,000 a year I lose the reduction. Would gain it again when I went on Social Security, but at a much higher level. That is because property would be appraised at new, higher value. So it would be taxed more. And state always wants to raise taxes regardless of how many people can't afford it. No way could I afford it. Don't live in Seattle, thank goodness. They want to raise taxes, again, to pay for community college for all high school graduates. Nice thought, but not reasonable. Plus Medicare and supplemental plans would have to be paid if I can't work. Cannot afford them. Not to mention car and home insurance, utilities, food, home and car maintenance. I have so fucked up this life. Suicide will never be easy, but may become the only viable option. Then I've thought about selling all my stuff except what would fit in my car and just living in it and driving around the country until I die.
Sillybear,
This is a crime. The people are not protesting their political representatives. I don't know how to live, much less with mental illness. We need to unite.
Devenny

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00