Life really does THINK it is feckin' funny, sigh

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Smokey, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Member

After years and years (over decade) of self induced isolation and alienation from the world, passing up every oppertunity to rejoin the world no matter how big or small I finaly decide to make an effort. I have a new deal (it is a British thing) cycle coming that offers me a perfect chance to get out there, meet people (even strangers... Yikes!) and try to overcome my social phobias and get some valuble work experience... Then I fall over and break my right arm in 2 places offering me the PERFECT cast iron excuse go on the sick and avoid having to do anything hard.
    How the hell am I going to avoid even the smallest crisis of confidence until it starts.
    Yeah very f***ing funny...
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:sad: Two words: Owie, mate, oww!

Kay that was 3 i cheat!!! :laugh:

Got a another two words. Resilience and tenacity, Smokey. If you want a thing bad enough in life dude, very often you gotta fight to get it. That's the tenacity.

Resilience: The human spirit is remarkably... oh, we'll say biased towards life. Even the most suicidal among us on here right now will tell you: "Damn it's hard to just let go" or otherwise found themselves incapable of consummaning the deed.

Ah but I digress. You can still get out, Smoke. That broken arm has got to be a b-i-T-c-h (at 45, I've never had a single broken bone) but shit man it's going fool around heal on you and -- what then?

I can't know your personal psychiatric demons, so is hard to "prognose"; impossible diagnose. I can give you the general truth about human nature, though:

THROUGHOUT MILLENIA, man has overcome. You name it he's overcome it. Scalpings--let's talk about that. In early Colonial America whilst the Native Americans were fighting for both survival and retention of their land, you want to try and imagine what the fuck a scalping felt like? lol

Stay with me. People very often survived those damned things. It's history--look it up. They'd have their heads skinned right down to the skull, be rescued, cared for and SURVIVE that shit.

Imagine the prolonged agony and pain of healing, let alone aftermath!!! (What'd they wear!?) OMG. My point is we are always capable of doing more than we estimate in our wildest dreams.

Okay, gonna end here for the reader's sake. :biggrin:

(I do do on don't I? :smile: )

3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Suffered blow to my head a few weeks back. Was alarming and potentially life-threatening.

Was a complete fluke Smokey, just like your arm. God didn't plan it. What's more, I was in the midst of the abscessed tooth.

So, the long and short: I just rode the shit out. All of it. And with time, it all passed (the head trauma was acute, immediate, required careful obersvation for a few days. Eventually turned out to be... just an old fashioned "hard knock to the head") and within four days I felt plenty safe enough to get outside and go about my life. In a week it was forgot.)

Saved myslef a $7 000 CT scan. lol

But we're a HELL of a lot tougher than we think. Re-enter resilience: You get the fuck out there and you try it again.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Sometimes life throws curve balls at you. I'm sure you will over come this and move on, you seem like you have the motivation and will to.
  5. Satine

Satine Member

Well, that hardly sounds like an excuse to me. Re: your arm: ow!!

As for meeting other people, remember that life doesn't do these things to you deliberately - it's a set of situations, not a living entity, so how could it do anything deliberately, or even be said to 'do' anything at all? - but other people are. The majority of us are good people. As soon as your arm is healed enough that you're able to get out and about again, come out and see the world - it's a grand place once you're out here :)

Good luck with your arm.
  6. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

That's sod's law for ya :rolleyes:

Hope you manage to get through this.
  7. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

Hey smokey, are you really gonna let a small thing like a broken arm stop you now? I think not, you sound like your mind is made up over to me :)
    Good on ya :hug: i know from personal experience how hard it is to beat agoraphobia and/or social anxiety. Proud of ya!
    Lea :cheekkiss:
  8. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

isnt there other things you could do besides cycling. surely it doesnt take a broken arm to stop you from doing other things that could help. but its a great achievement to even try and fight the social anxiety gremlins in itself so proud of you there x
  9. Smokey

Smokey Member

Hi guys thanks for the support :)

Of cause I know I will be fine lol. Pretty sure it won't fall off. Not really sure why I posted... Prolly drunk and in a whinging mood. All it will take is telling my advisor I can't use it though and I can go back to my easy life. It's just proof that I want it that I haven't yet and aren't planning to :) Just sods law, yeah.
  10. Satine

Satine Member

Well, another way of looking at it could be that it's a challenge - reckon you can take on the world one-armed? :biggrin:
  11. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Haha that's irony i guess. But you've got no excuse once the arm is healed! It's a minor setback. :hug:
  12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

LOL "take on the world one-armed." That's a hoot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.