lifelong mental illness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by EmptyLife, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

lifelong depression. never any friends, let alone relationships. Haven't enjoyed anything since childhood.
    i hate when everyone says depression is treatable. in some cases, it's not. i've tried 40 medications and decades of therapy without any relief. I don't see suicide as a solution, but i hate the cliche that it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. my problems have been interminable, lifelong -- never temporary.

2. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I'm guessing you are going to hate the cliché 'Where there's life there's hope' too and I understand that.
    However I suggest you tell your pdoc what you have said here and ask them what they suggest next by way of treatment. One day you will find the right treatment for you, you have to battle on with drugs, therapy, anything that might help you turn that all important corner.

Hazel

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Has your doctor cleared any other conditions that could be causing the depression? You may have some type of disease that is causing the depression as a secondary condition... especially if nothing is helping it. Don't give up, exhaust every option and then exhaust every holistic one as well.

4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have not have depression all my life, it has definitely been caused by circumstances in my life. But I feel that it will last me for the rest of my life, and why I wish to make my life as short as possible. I don't think it can ever get better. :(

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have been battling OCD, crippling anxiety and depression for decades and have been on many medications, four rounds of ECT and countless therapy sessions. I have have really only gone downhill in most regards especially the depression.

OCD is a living hell and anxiety is torture but it is the depression that is simply not survivable so that is what I am concentrating on. In my opinion you have not been with the right therapist yet or maybe the right type of therapy for you as an individual. What remains in your thinking or habits that continues to trigger and perpetuate your depressive illness has not been addressed.

I'm hoping you get a real break soon! :hugtackles:

6. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

I agree that you may want to have a thorough non-psych physical. We discovered an underlying condition with me that was making the depression worse. My psych figured something was whacky and asked that I get checked.

You may also want to try new therapist or doctor. I thought I was ok until my spouse said he wasn't happy and I eventually found the one I have now. He KNOWs me, knew me from the minute I walked in. Nobody else knew my condition. Sometimes, you have to find somebody who can spot an unusual diagnois. Mine wasn't plain depression -- you may be the same.

All best going your way

:hugtackles:

7. Clechés shall BURN in the Ninth Level of Hell.

I hope I made SOMEBODY smile...just now.....:mortd::hugtackles:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.