Like someone who is a Schizophrenic

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by gem77, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gem77

gem77 Well-Known Member

Haven't posted anything for awhile, feeling a bit disconnected again and I'm in need of some advice. Any advice is much appreciated as I don't have anyone to turn to. What do you guys think about dating someone that is a schizophrenic. Recently I met a guy who is a schizophrenic, one who takes drugs and has relapsed a few times. I've only known him a month but there is a connection between us. It sounds messed up i know but I kinda want to help him, save him in a way. He seems to mellow when I talk to him, he has a girlfriend (who is also a schizophrenic which I'm totally worried about her reaction to hearing about me although theres nothing to tell). I feel compelled to help him. He says he loves her but hasn't found the one, the girl he wants to marry - she is not it. We are the complete opposites. He has had a lot of women and likes to look. He is good looking, I on the other hand am quite shy and an introvert, (saving myself for marriage) not to brag but I get male attention too but up until recently i used to feel repulsed by relationships but now i just want a companion. he calls me beautiful and makes me feel high. My head is telling me we are not suited and we aren't, he says I'm the kind of girl he wants to be with, end up with - marry. I don't know how much of this is him or not though. We barely know each other, is he just attracted to me? My knowledge on mental health is lacking so I don't know. I've not seen him for a while and I feel empty. Should I just move on... Is it possible to be with someone you barely know. I've seen others do it. But I'm scared to risk it, of what my family would say, of his girlfriend. We come from two different worlds. Is he just wanting me 'cos he thinks I have it altogether, job, flat, etc and he doesn't...Thanks :)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Go with your gut instinct ok if he has a girlfriend then he should not be looking else where I just want to point out someone who has the illness of schizophrenia is not their illness ok Many people who suffer from this illness that go on and become professionals even in the health field
    Look for the red flags you are seeing one is he is a looker he does not seem to want to commit to the relationship he is in and he may just want someone that can look after HIM and not a equal relationship

3. gem77

gem77 Well-Known Member

Thank you for responding. what you say rings true. He is older than me, he says he just wants to be a dad, have a family, he has mentioned charitable work but no career. I feel for him as I think something happened in his childhood to make him take drugs to block it out. He won't open up to me fully yet though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.