Lil' help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by lostboy, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I'll try and make this short and to the point.
    Alright I’ll give you the lo – down on my situation

I’m very weary of other people, never had a girlfriend or had many friends, pretty awkward with people in general.

I’m weak minded quite lazy and find it hard to make decisions or figure things out for myself.

I’ve just finished a course in animation, I was told by my teachers that I was pretty good at it, but I didn’t really like most of the animators I met as they were all motivated driven people where as I just coast along.

I need to get a job doing something, at the moment I’m delivering pizzas, which is alright but I guess I’d prefer to be doing something in animation.

Anyway I just need some advise from people on what to do, particularly older people. I’m finding it really hard to do any sort of animation at all now that its not due in on a particular date.

If you were in my shoes would you bust your ass over animation work?
    Or would you just admit defeat and do something else… I’m just confused

Fuck I feel like a right sad wanker…

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I always think putting the work in and getting the rewards is the best way to go...if it is difficult, then the rewards will be more satisfying...stick with it...better to fall short of a dream than to live a nightmare...big hugs, J

3. Fatman1966

Fatman1966 Antiquitie's Friend

Looks like you are just suffering from a lack of inspiration

Follow your dreams, your hopes, your fears.

If dealing with other people is difficult then try and do it through animation, take your emotions the way you feel, deep down inside and animate that, take the talents you have and use them to express the things that matter to you in life, if thats what you want, if that gives you what you think you might be missing.

Some of the most truely expressive and touching stories I have ever seen told have been told through animation

May be, if you let it, you could be the one telling such tales

But

tThere is always a but, if its doesnt touch you like that, then there is no shame in not doing something, even if you are good at it, if it doesnt really make you happy.

4. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

Hi lostboy. I can say that if animation is what you feel like you want to do, and if you think you are decent enough to make a real career out of it, go for it. Take all the courses you can and learn more about career choices in the field. Check out what people are doing in animation now and what all the opportunities are. Then do what you have to do to get there. I know it sounds easier than it will take to do, but trust me when I say, if it's what you want, you should strive for it now while you are still young and still have choices. I used to want to be an artist and took courses in college and even got so far as to almost graduate with an art degree, but i, like you, was unmotivated, awkward around people, and lazy to say the least. I'd finish all my assignments and do really well on them, but when it came to self-motivation, I just couldn't do any art without someone assigning it. I know how you feel when it comes to that. I can't say for sure what it is that made me that way, but I can say it's just a wall. A meaningless, pointless wall that just prevents you from going for what you want. Don't let that wall stop you. Force yourself through it. If animation is what you want to be involved in, immerse yourself in it. One of my art professors once told me that he forced himself to paint everyday even on days when he didn't want to, which for me would probably be everyday. But I remembered his advice and I know it's good advice. If you want to be an animator, or anything else, you have to make an effort to do it everyday, no matter how you feel or how lazy you get. A lot of careers involved with art are self-motivated so you have to really have the drive, or fake the drive to make it. Just do it and all your effort will definitely prove it's worth in the end. It sounds too much, I know, but trust me when I say, don't let your awkwardness around people ruin your life, don't let your lack of drive kill what you want for yourself. I know I did, and now I'm a total loser with no prospects.. and old to boot. My dreams were killed by my own lack of motivation. Find a way to forget about everything else and just throw yourself headon into your work, because it's better to just go for it, then not, and regret it for the rest of your life. sorry it all sounds really dramatic, but I've been there, and now I wish I could go back and do what I'm telling you to do now.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

wow thanks noplacetogo, thats exactly what I wanted. Someone whos been in this situation before and knows what route to take. Think you've just given me the extra kick in the arse I needed.

Your totaly spot on with the wall. Right now its right in front of me, I dont know what it is, apathy, or just a sense that what your struggling for is in essence futile... or maybe I'm just a lazy bastard. :)

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I just wanted to say I like your avatar :laugh:

7. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

Apathy, laziness, whatever it is, you shouldn't get wrapped up in it. It will definetly destroy your life if you let it. trust me, just don't dwell on it. Break it down and just push forward. Even if it's something still lingering in the back of your mind, leave it be to linger there and just do what you have to do.
    and If you find that you can't get motivated to create anything, there's a little tool some graphic designers and artists use when they are short of original ideas; They basically take from an existing design or concept and change it to make it better or just different or modern. For example, you can find a character in a game or animation you think needs improvement (not sure what type of animation you're into) and basically revamp it, like redesign the movements, change it's personality etc. This could help you find new ideas, add to your portfolio or just be a fun way to involve yourself in it. It will help you improve your skills too. And there's always a crap-load of ideas you can find online. Anyway, glad I could help a bit. And yes, your avatar is hilarious:laugh:.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.