Liquor to Sleep

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Believe, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Believe

Believe Well-Known Member

I don't know what to do. I just know I'm never going to sleep tonight unless I drink. Why does this only happen to me sporadically? Most of the time I'm just fine, but there are some nights where I just can't sleep and every cell of my body seems to scream for alcohol...

I started drinking to sleep after I fell asleep at the wheel of my car and nearly died... I was so afraid to fall asleep after that that I couldn't unless I snuck liquor from my sister's liquor cabinet. There's been one or two days between now and then that I've just woken up in the morning and started drinking... but mostly it's just a few nights a month that I can't shake this.

I don't even know what to call this, I don't think I'm addicted... but I also don't know how to stop... any advice/similar experiences?

2. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I nearly died at the wheel too, was knocked unconscious and awoke in some woods. I really can empahise with you on this.

Subsequently I was on the PC some days after the incident and was soooo tired that I was nodding off at the PC.
    Then! So ALARMINGLY I woke with a shock as the memory of the crash played through my mind. It was AWFUL. I was petrified!!! Then for a while I did not want to fall asleep and I abused alcohol to knock me out. Please be assured this will pass and you are not alone. This is a perfectly normal post traumatic stress effect. Please try and work through this without alcohol if you can. Talk it through with someone, PM me if you'd like. One consellation though is that you and I SURVIVED! I believe someone was looking out for you too!

God bless. x

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

one of the questions AA asks to determine if one is alcoholic is: can you stop drinking on your own when you want to stop? If not,then you may well be addicted to alcohol. You may be a binge drinker, not regularly, but sometimes. you may want to call AA in your area and go to a meeting. but if you want to stop and cannot, that could indicate that you do have a problem with alcohol. I know I do. I'm not drinking now - this is day five - and am feeling a lot better. try AA. at the very least, tell your doctor about this problem. best of luck to you:hug:

4. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Poor sleep is a symptom of depression. Drinking oneself to sleep is a natural coping mechanism. There's not much one can do about it. Imo if you are careful you should be ok. Once you feel better the urge goes away. Don't worry or blame yourself too much.

5. As many will sadly testify, frequent and/or regular use of alcohol for any "purpose" can often be a slippery slope (down a mountain of razor blades - except you're numbed to the fall. And it's the climbing back UP that's the HELL of it). While wanting sleep can be infuriatingly elusive sometimes (and it happens to most of us, sometimes), a heavily booze-induced sleep is really not 'restful' at all... If you can't sleep, no matter what, maybe find something to do (for instance, I Google funny jokes, or pictures - laughter/endorphins help me)

Here's a real short thingy...

http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/factors-affecting-sleep-lifestyle/can-alcohol-make-you-sleepy

Here's something from the Mayo Clinic about what may help & what to avoid...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foods-that-help-you-sleep/AN01582

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. Sarah

Sarah SF Friend & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Hi,

depending onhow often you drink you may or may not be addicted. however something like this can lead to addiction. sometimes you cant tell because you dont realize how much it is affecting you. have you thought of going to a couple aa meetings. sometimes they help even if you arent addicted. this may be caused due to post traumatic stress from falling asleep at the wheel. the only reason i suggest aa is some of the people there may be able to help you find a way to get through the night without drinking. they have lots of little tricks to help out. i use to go with my dad when i was a kid. even though i didnt drink they where able to help with other things and lead me on the right path. maybe they can help you past this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.