literally everone I know including me has some kind of mental problem, it's ridiculous

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by no-life, Sep 25, 2015.

1. no-life

no-life Member

I have like 18 past mental health diagnoses, some of which may be false, including Asperger's, ADHD, social anxiety, chronic depression, etc, and on top of that, I'm either body dismorphic or transgender.
    My mother has a lot of the same mental disorders I have (Asperger's, depression).
    I have two younger sisters, the youngest of which definitely has Asperger's too (no official diagnosis), and the older is a total psychopath, constantly either passive-aggressive or in a nonsensical rage state.
    My stepfather is the same as the older sister.
    My real father is almost as bad as me and the younger sister in terms of autism crap.
    His wife is like a child with OCD.
    I have two friends.
    My best friend is totally depressed, asocial and apathetic to anything outside of her specific interests, and she has been losing interest in a lot things she used to like as of late (waiting for official diagnosis).
    My other friend has some kind of personality disorder (I forget which) and I haven't spoken to her in months.

Sometimes I doubt that sane people exist, or if they do exist, they're all selfish and ignorant, and that's what sanity is.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Everyone has their own burdens to carry some talk about some don't but no life is without some darkness reall I am sorry your family suffers so much

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

If you were to read the symptoms of every condition listed in the DSM then i am positive you will never find a person in th eworld without some of them- just like any symptoms you put into web md one possible Dx for is cancer.

The real definer of mental illness is not symptoms but the impact the symptoms have on your daily life. Can you function or not? Do you let your symptoms define you or simply deal with them. Once you learn to simply deal with them, it really doe snot matter.. Until then, nothing else will matter.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

While mental illness seems to be around you a lot, I do not see it as much or maybe I am not looking hard enough. My point is your brain will feed whatever you are thinking and make it out to be a hundred times worse than is. Depression can be common, 1 in 4 people will experience an episdoe of depression in their lifetimes. I think you need to focus on what is positive around you and try to keep the negative thoughts at bay. Good luck.

5. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

In my experience, there do seem to be certain life conditions that make mental illness a higher probability. As an example, living in poverty means that I interact with people who, also, live in poverty rather frequently. Or, at least, people who are lower middle class. It seems that things such as anxiety and depression are very common among us. I, also, grew up with a mom who is an alcoholic. As a result, I know a lot of alcoholics. I know their (now) adult children, too. It seems anxiety, personality disorders, addiction disorders, alcoholism, and depression are common among us. Going by all of this, it does seem sometimes that sanity is something that does not exist in my world. Perhaps, in my world, it doesn't.

Nevertheless, there are many people who are not diagnosable with a DSM mental condition. But since it isn't all genetic, and is partially environment, in one's environment if they have mental illness... the chances that others within that environment do (even if they are not related) are increased. And since genetics play a part, too, obviously the chances that brothers, sisters, mothers, etc will have a mental illness are high, too.

Another thing that is notable is that those with mental illness tend to seek signs of it in others. Tendency to want to relate to others and all.

6. BBM77

BBM77 Active Member

Sanity does exist, but it is indeed, rare. I just don't agree with how society plays off the ideal that everyone needs to be drugged to treat the slightest thing wrong in order to adept to what a general populace considers "normal society". When "normal society" isn't that normal as it seems and try to be.

From my experiences, my problems are like body weight, except they're mental weight. I think too much and way too much for my own good. I keep questioning everything, I keep questioning everyone and it continues day in and day out. I have a conscience in my mind that never, ever shuts up. It will keep talking to me and telling me things in my mind that determines what I say and what I withhold.

I do think one of the things you can also factor is chemical imbalances in the brain, that can really change someone in a whim. I don't intend to offend anyone on this site with this opinion. But, I don't believe in Aspergers, Autism and ADHD. I consider them "excused disorders", where people can claim that they have x to avoid certain y situations. So people end up having to walk on eggshells around them and they become a killswitch.

Depression is a legitimate concern, it could lead to a whole wide array of things. Breakups, bad family history, losses, alcohol, poor progress in life and the list goes on. Don't write off someone as being ignorant and selfish because they're depressed. You could say, stubborn. But, again, anything could lead to depression and it's just depending on the level of depression they're in.

Sounds like to me, though, with the handful of people you've went down. Seems like there's a chain of bi-polar disorders in various degrees and that's also a legitimate concern. It could run in the family.

7. no-life

no-life Member

UPDATE: my stepfather has been officially diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder. You'd think that being officially a dangerous psychopath would logically mean he'd be forced to receive treatment, but no. We still have to deal with him and he is getting worse. <mod edit - graphic detail>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015