"little dog" problems

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by theleastofthese, Jun 10, 2007.

1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I can't get our little rescued dog, Teddy, to eat. He won't eat but once a day;, and not very much. I"m at the end of my rope and don't know where else to turn or what to try. The vet's ruled out physical illness so I'm thinking "depression", tho I wouldn't know what to do for him if he WAS depressed.

If anyone has any tips or advice I'll listen - I'm desperate to get him back to health and will try anything not overtly dangerous or risky.

worried dog-mom

least

2. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

maybe try ppl food. or how about some gravy on the food he's eating. are you giving him dry or wet food. maybe it's to hard for him and it hurts his teeth. sorry to hear about he pup

3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hey Least, I don't know what's wrong with your lil dog but here's a link about dogs with depression: Clicky me. A vet should be able to diagnose depression and maybe even put your dog on anti-depressants.

If I remember rightly your lil Teddy hasn't had the greatest of lives before he was put into your care so maybe he still getting used to his surroundings. Maybe after a lot of love and affection he will feel more comfortable with the eating. Maybe even give your dog the odd sweet, a way to a dogs heart! Well, my dog's heart. hehe

Did your vet give you any advice or help you in any way?

I hope Teddy gets well soon.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

most dogs will eat chicken if nothing else and can you get dog tripe out there?
    Both my dogs love tripe, even Trilby and she is a very picky eater.
    Cheese can be a dog favourite as well.

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Yeah, chicken is what I could get my dogs to eat when they were being very stubborn. Only problem was, they didn't want to go back to dog food. But it was worth it. They do have antidepressants for dogs i know. Our neighbors dog takes them. I know you don't want to incur another expense though. try the chicken first and see what happens. My littlest dog will eat rice if i cook it in chicken broth lol. Let us know hun. :hug:

6. theleastofthese

He won't eat hardly at all, and I even offered him chicken nuggets, which he likes, so I"ll try canned chicken today. He has no energy at all and doesn't do anything but lie on the sofa or in the yard. I can't even get him to take his antibiotics to try to make him feel better.:sad:

prayers needed.:sad:

7. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I would have the vet look at this teeth. I know a lady whos dog wouldn't eat and it was because of his teeth. He had to get a few of them pulled then was fine.

8. Terry

Candle lit Least and the whole Rosary Fraternity are offering up fridays' rosary to Teddy's recovery :smile:

9. theleastofthese

Teddy died this morning while I was working.:sad: I came home at noon and found him. My; brother is coming over later today to dig the grave so we can bury him. I miss him so badly.:sad:

I give my heart to a little dog and it gets ripped out by the roots. So I'll get another needy dog, and risk the renewed hurt, cause I want so badly to give another neglected dog a good life. I don't have much in the way of material possessions, but have a lot of room in my heart for my animals. And they don't care if I'm rich - but they do like sleeping on my bed.

Teddy is in God's Meadow now, so I'm trying not to grieve, but want so much to see him - I"ll have to wait til I get there to do that, but in the meantime, want to love an unloved creature, so they'll know the same love and good life as Teddy had.

10. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Ohh Least :hug: :hug:

Try to be glad that little Teddy had a very happy life with you. He will have died a very happy dog :yes:.

I admire you so much for your dedication to animals like Teddy. You're a wonderful, caring person :arms:.

Take care,

Here if you want to talk,

~Nobody~ x

11. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Aww Least :( :(

Big hugs hun :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You do indeed have a great heart, and you're one who I'm proud to call a friend :)

You hang in there hun - PM me if you ever need :hug:

12. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

:( I'm so sorry to hear about Teddy, but I agree that you gave him all you could for the short time he was with you and you made his last days on this Earth days of love and kindness. :hug:

13. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Oh, thats horrible, I'm so sorry. :sad:
    Please don't blame yourself for what happened, it couldn't be helped, his suffering is over now and I hope you can find another needy dog to take care of, he won't replace Teddy but you are a warm, kind, caring person and there's a lot of dogs out there just waiting to come to your home.

14. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

So sorry least that Teddy was not able to stay with you longer. You made his final days so much better. You provided the love he so desparately needed. Both of your lives were deeply enriched because of the time you were able to spend together. His struggles are over and am sure he is wagging his tail and knows you will do what you can to resue others like him. Who knows, maybe he has hooked up with all the other beloved animals you have helped. Hang in there hun. I am here if you need a shoulder. :hug:

15. Terry

Least :cry: poor little dog :sad: Thank God he had you for the end of his days.
    I'm sitting here crying like a baby and what I think of St Francis at the moment isnt actually printable.

:hug:

16. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

least i am so so sorry for your loss. I'm grateful that the dog had you in his final days. Many hugs and my thoughts are with you. :hug:

17. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

So sorry, least. :( :hug:

18. Sorrow

Sorrow Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Teddy. I know how bad it feels to lose a pet. He was lucky to have you though and get to be loved and cared for. You are a good person to help these dogs.

19. theleastofthese

We buried him, with the 23rd Psalm spoken over him, and a flag in the ground to mark his final resting place. All for my benefit, of course, since Teddy's running around in heaven now and has no physical woes or disabilities. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and kind words. I miss him terribly but take comfort in your words and thoughts. I don't know why dogs lives are soshort. It's not fair, is it?

love, least

PS Terry, why are you thinking unprintable thoughts about St Francis??

20. Terry

Cos I had a quiet word with him about Teddy and I guess he chose not to listen:sad: