Little Red Dress

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by RainbowChaser, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

Apparently it's a symptom of my depression...

I like to look pretty. I guess any girl does once in a while. But once you get to my size, that becomes a bit difficult. Everyday prettiness just doesn't happen for me.

A few months ago I bought a red dress. It's very pretty. It makes me feel pretty when I wear it.

Problem is, I have nowhere to wear it to. Sometimes I just wear it in my room to make me feel pretty for a while, but then I just get down about not having anywhere to wear it. I guess I just feel like some right loney sad act for it...

Before anyone asks, this isn't the sum total of my problems, it's just the only one I dare post about right now...
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think that if you have found something that helps you feel better then that's great. It's not harming you or anyone else, it's just a simple way to feel better.

Everyone wants to feel special, so maybe wearing the dress makes you feel special.

You might think that a persons size means it is harder to look pretty, but that is all perception. I know some utterly gorgeous bigger ladies (and I'm straight, lol). Size doesn't have to mean its harder to be pretty, or anything like that.

Having a higher self esteem might help you honey. Have you tried googling 'ways to improve self esteem'? It could give you things to do to try to improve it.

I love the idea of your red dress. Maybe you could try and find somewhere to wear it to.
  3. RainbowChaser

Okay, I'll re-phrase that - since I got bigger, it's been harder to look pretty. As someone who's not naturally pretty, I have to rely on clothes and make up to help me along. And I don't wear make-up.

As for googling 'ways to improve self esteem', quite often it comes up with alot of stuff that seems to me to be quite egotistical. If I did even half the stuff mentioned, I could see myself becoming a very nasty person again.

I wish I could find somewhere to wear it to, but I would have to be with someone (a friend or something), and I seriously lack people to go places with.
  4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try something like taking all the nice things that people say to you, and recording them, and sticking them somewhere prominant. That is not egotistical, that is just reminding yourself of your good qualities. Maybe if you reminded yourself of all your good qualities, it might help you to feel better about yourself (one of my friends did this and it helped her a lot).

Just a thought there, that's all.

Could you go out with any of the people that you had a great time with the other night?
  5. RainbowChaser

I get to see those people once every three months if I'm lucky :sad:
  6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

:( could you get contact numbers next time?

I'm not sure what kind of dress it is, but could you and your family go out for a posh meal together? Or could you cook a posh dinner party and wear it there? anything like that?
  7. RainbowChaser

That's exactly what kind of dress it is! Problem is, I seem to be the only one interested in doing anything like that :sad:
  8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Make it a real special occasion.

Maybe you could take your family out for mothers day/fathers day/ birthday/celebrate anything like that.

Or plan, with someone, a posh dinner party, and then do it all formal, send out invitations and everything. Try to make it really special.

You deserve to do soemthing and to wear something you love and feel good in. That could be an amazing evening.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.