Livestock

Does this bother you how livestock is treated?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I could care less.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, does it bother you all that cows are forced to live crowded together in filth and kicked, shocked and etc? You all are welcomed to put your two cents in and vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

protonaut

Well, to be honest - there are much worse things happening in the world than mistreatment of livestock. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it or anything.

I voted yes though - I realize there's not much I can do (such is life) except to refuse to participate as a consumer of the meat industry. I respect all animals. I'm vegan by principle, I don't wear leather, I support political candidates who want to protect natural habitats, etc.

Do I care if someone is wearing a leather jacket or fur coat? Hell no. I'm not going to oppose anyone's right to wear or eat animal products. I think people who go to that extreme give vegans a bad name.

I only embrace this lifestyle for myself. It feels good knowing I'm not dependent on animal slaughter, and meat grosses me out anyway.

I do it because it makes me feel good. Selfish? Sure. I'm not morally or spiritually better than meat eaters.

Well, to be honest - there are much worse things happening in the world than mistreatment of livestock. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it or anything.

I voted yes though - I realize there's not much I can do (such is life) except to refuse to participate as a consumer of the meat industry. I respect all animals. I'm vegan by principle, I don't wear leather, I support political candidates who want to protect natural habitats, etc.

I only embrace this lifestyle for myself. It feels good knowing I'm not dependent on animal slaughter, and meat grosses me out anyway.

I do it because it makes me feel good. Selfish? Sure. I'm not morally or spiritually better than meat eaters
:agreed:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Raven

A lot of the ways that we treat the livestock are things that are one day very likely to come back and haunt us. Such as the BSE or mad cow spread by humans with the feeding of bone meal I believe it was called.
The force feeding of antibiotics is something we should be alarmed about, the idea being that the sanitary conditions are so bad that the livestock are becoming sick and the use of antibiotics is rampant. I know a lot of doctors that refuse to give out simple drugs for the fear of creating a super resistant strain of a know bacterial agent.
The problem is that people do not want to pay more for the meat, and truly as long as they don't see it they don't really care.

~Raven

A lot of the ways that we treat the livestock are things that are one day very likely to come back and haunt us. Such as the BSE or mad cow spread by humans with the feeding of bone meal I believe it was called.
The force feeding of antibiotics is something we should be alarmed about, the idea being that the sanitary conditions are so bad that the livestock are becoming sick and the use of antibiotics is rampant. I know a lot of doctors that refuse to give out simple drugs for the fear of creating a super resistant strain of a know bacterial agent.
The problem is that people do not want to pay more for the meat, and truly as long as they don't see it they don't really care.

~Raven
There's another side to it. You don't need to kill another being to live and eat healthy. And allot of cows get steroids to make them bigger but they get so big the go lame and end up being lame in there own filth with sores and infections, so even without caring for the animals, it still doesn't sound health to eat it. But don't get me wrong in my opinion I don't think animals should have to die for us but it's everyones personal choice what they want to do.

Chickpea

It does bother me a lot, so I decided to go vegan. But even if they were treated really nicely I still would not want an animal to die so that I could eat it. I feel so bad for them :sad:

Puddytat

i dont really think about it, i mean, i know it does happen at some places but generally they are treated a lot better than they used to be because of anti-cruelty laws & it apparently makes a difference to how they taste too. i dunno, i dont like the idea of any animal suffering but im pretty neutral to cows and pigs and chickens, i dont wanna see them suffering, as long as they live ok and then are slaughtered in a decent way then its ok, although i guess what is really humane anyway? im not gonna stop eating meat because some idiot treats his livestock like shit, there will always be that one person or company. i believe meat was made for us to eat. we are always learning and improving things as our knowledge grows so hopefully one day that wont be an issue anymore because ppl will be educated.

It does bother me a lot, so I decided to go vegan. But even if they were treated really nicely I still would not want an animal to die so that I could eat it. I feel so bad for them :sad:
I understand the feeling dear. That's why I went vegitarian months back, it made me so sad to know the life they live and go through all that to be killed.. I tear up just when passing a beef packing plant. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00