Living in the moment....how and why.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

People say "just live in the moment", but how when the moment you are in is pure hell and misery.

2. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Have you noticed though that the people who say this, and especially the people who actually achieve it, are happy and carefree? It's easy for them, they have no pain. Those who say this tend to mean live without worries, and it's a nice idea, but pretty impractical even for the happiest of people.

Mim

3. Hoasis

Hoasis Well-Known Member

Good point! Why dont they go out and say "live the moment" to a person who is paralyzed from the neck and down...I guess it would be pretty much the same thing!

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

i find it hard to live in the moment because of my anxiety. it makes me think about the future somewhat frequently unless i am able to get into one of my "i don't care about it" ruts.

5. Constantinos

Constantinos Well-Known Member

Hello to all,

All of us have our good and our bad days, living the moment basically means living in the Now and not leaving in the past.

I personally try to live in the "Now", living in the "Now" doesn't mean you forget all of your problems and your past, in just means to take one day at a time so that you can cope with the day better.

You probably feel the day miserable and like hell due to your past, i don't want you to erase your past - i want you to accept your past and express your feelings for the past however the past is the past, the past happened, we are now in the "Now".

6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

yes, that saying does carry with it the implied "provided the moment is good". Seize the good times when they come without allowing stress over the future to cloud your enjoyment of the now. That's the gist. The whole works falls apart when you bring depression into the mix. Where then the now is horrible, the future is horrible, the past was horrible. So... yeah. The phrase is clearly intended for healthy people.

For you, and for me, and for all us here at this forum, something along the lines of just... hold on, things might get better in the future, would be more appropriate.

7. Constantinos

Constantinos Well-Known Member

I just wanted to do a small change to what harrachos said:

"hold on, things will get better in the future"

You may not believe that things will get better but from experience i have proven this to myself and you will also prove this to yourself - all this needs is time and patience.

8. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

You are more optimistic than I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.