Living in the UK

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by PandorasToybox, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Is living in the UK expensive?

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Depends where abouts you go.
    London is pretty expensive, but living in the UK can be done very in-expensively if you get the right info.
    I'd say the biggest problem is changing one currency for another and finding you have so much less, that's the crappiest part. :(

3. PandorasToybox

I just want out of Canada! I thought about going back to Germany, or moving to Ireland... London was another choice as well.

Mm ya that's the worst part. I already priced places for living & much more expensive down there...

4. Aurora Gory Alice

You know what's so funny... I am desperately trying to get out of the UK and get to Canada. lol.

I mean, if you set stuff up properly you can easily live in London for not much money at all. Do you know if you would be able to find work and what not or are you going to hop a plane and see what's out there?
    The current climate means finding work has become hideous, I can't find a damn thing but there is work out there. Esp. if you are qualified to do something? My problem is I'm not. :(
    Lots of work for nannies also if you just want out right now and you want free accomodation.

5. PandorasToybox

I can find work as an exercise rider or instructor down there through trainers here.
    Haha Canada seems glamrous but its one of those things where everything has a catch...especially with health care & work.
    I'll have my marketing diploma soon as well & my graphic design soon as well.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Oh there's always tons of call for instructors over here! We're in the middle of an obesity pandemic and I think one industry that seems to be thriving massively is the gym/aerobic/diet industry. I'm always seeing trainers needed and such. So you'd be set!
    Even better if you get your diplomas.

I think I've just wanted out of London for the longest time and my only two friends are in Canada so it seems like the place to be!

7. PandorasToybox

The only amazing place to be in Canada, is Ottawa :smile: I love it there!

Oops I meant riding instructor, although riding is extremely physically demanding & is amazing for weight loss!

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Depends. Where are you thinking of moving too, and what sort of living style are you hopeing for? House, flat? What sort of work will you be doing here?

On minimum wage in the UK its rough, beyond rough to be honest. But if you have a skilled job, you can get by a bit better.

There's loads of taxes here, especially if you are looking to drive. Buses are expensive and so is the train network. Parking is expensive in the major cities, like normal for most places.

I'm from Vancouver, BC originally, but now am in the UK. Not exactly easy to live, everythings trying to recouperate from the economic stall.

Anyhow, minimum wage in the UK is £5.75 give or take a few pennies.

Go to www.tesco.com and compare the cost of milk and bread and basic food products if you want a general idea of your costs, plus alcohol and such. If you drive, look for some insurance websites and calculate the prices for it in the uK. Then look up info for your Road Tax. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/index.htm

It will vary drastically in the UK for how long you have been driving, and I don't know how it works with driving outside of the UK for X years vs driving in the UK for X years.

Word of advice get your full canadian drivers license in Canada, it will save you a load of money.

If you don't drive, try and find an idea where you want to live, then find the local bus companies website, then calculate the prices of travel per day you will need to work. There are loads of companies competeing in the UK, though their prices are horrendous for the time and distance used. I'd check out train fares and all the saver options here too. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Tax is something like 17.5% in the uk i think, plus NHS deductions. If you don't get a Tax code sorted out before hand, they will put you on an emergency tax code which is I believe 22-25% for low income jobs. I read if you have a high income paying job it can go up to 44%. You apparently get your over paid taxes back once you sort out a offical tax code.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm

Renting a house is difficult if you don't have a secured job. Since you said youve been to germany I assume you are part of the EU so you can legally work in the UK, so that might not be a problem. Though you might be barred from public funds such as dole and any low income support networks.

You might be required in the not so distant future to sign up for a Nation ID card, which has alot of personal information stored on it and will help the government keep track of you. I think it's being slammed a bit, but it will pass.

On a personal note, the UK government is horrible. Yes, it is fucking horrible. The people are nice, but pissed off, especially when it comes to immigrants because of the influx of Polish people and other groups over the last 4 years or so. The reason for this is, alot of british low income workers see that foreigners will work for crap wages and for excessive long periods of time without slowing down or complaining. Basically, work long tedious hours and do a better job for less pay and demands. Alot of british people hate the fact that alot of immigrants cannot speak english, atleast not that well, and feed off of the welfare system here(though this last point about the welfare is not a fact I am aware of, merely underlined chat). Other things but basically they feel they are being over run by immigrants and that they are too accepting of other people and their cultures and that the government is making all the british(English) people bend to the wills and whims of forigen people and their believes.

Health and safety here is fucking crazy. They are paranoid about alot of things with regards to Health and safety, to the point of excessive use. There are CCTV cameras everywhere... everywhere.

Depending on your country of origin, I would be wary of the polotics here, especially political parties such as the BNP in particular. They are alot more specific and vocal about their views on why the uk is "falling apart", and blaming groups of people.

Anyway, i could go on, those are some negative parts for the AREA of the UK i live in. But the UK is a beautiful place and really nice people. And with LOADS of things to do and places to see. I mean, it only takes 2 hours to fly to spain, 8 hours to drive to scotland(or is it less? I cant remember). There are so many things to do and see here it's unreal. Excellent place for motorbikes. The process for that btw is a provicinal license(just apply for one) --> a CBT (lets you ride up to a 125cc powered bike) --> DSA course (any CC class)

If you are used to our straight roads in canada, it is a big shift to the winding, narrow roads of the uk. And all the damn signs and labeling on the roads its annoying sometimes, but you get used to it fast. If you are thinking of london I think there is a horrid toll system there and it is zoned aswell, so you might need to pay a toll 3 times from entering from the exterior of london to the interior. Though I dont know ifthat's right, just hearsay.

Just.. research it. If you are going to be on your own, these little things might piss you off alot.

Oh BT( british telecom) is the main phone service here, something like £30 for a basic package, internet £30. For the internet there are a few suppliers, Virgin/Sky/BT, and I think a few more.

Oh yes and the fucking kicker of the fucking UK and it's fucking freedom of choice.
    If you have a tv, or computer, you have to pay their loveable fucking TV license. This is for some daft shit free tv or something from BBC and their programs and such. It's annoying to be forced to pay this, and it is a £1000 fine for not paying it. They will hound you if you dont pay this.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

I don't know why I am paying £28 for mine a month actually, im going to check that out, this website says £11.63. Maybe it's because we dodged it for so long and are paying back on it. Blah, in anycase, all these little bills add up.

Oh yeah,

and gas, if it's $1/litre in canada.. guess how much it is in the UK. £1/litre. Grr

9. PandorasToybox

Well thank you for all the info!! Very informative & appreciated!!

I have epilepsy & therefore getting a license is a no-go at the moment :mellow:

10. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I must say, vancouver is an amazing place, so is whitlser and the gulf islands. Winnipeg is boreing but has amazing seasonal shifts of weather. The whole environmental aspect of canada is beyond words and so are the people.
    I love canada, because of what it stands for and how young it is. How we are not tied down by the past and have a more free reign on our future. Realistically, it's alot smaller economically wise. We are spread apart drastically but this gives us a sense of freedom not felt in the UK I think.

I guess you and I like different things, you might enjoy the UK alot :)

No problem. Hmm.. If you aren't barred from public funds, they might have a program or two installed here for you because you cannot drive a vehicle, and are restricted to public transit. One thing the UK has, is alot of systems for people who are disabled in one way or another. One example is if you cannot read or write, they will pay you 90 pounds a month, then after every year they increase that by 10 pounds.

They've got everything.. and yet, yeah lol. Good luck dude

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  11. PandorasToybox

Well considering the economy has crashed here, there's no jobs & global warming has hit us badly, oh & not to mention we have next to no MH system here that actually works, & free health care comes with a catch ... umm ll yeah, not really fond of Canada right now.

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah the health care was a bit fussed when I left. Though, the UK is no exception for this. They are just as bad. The NHS http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx is really over worked at the moment. You'll have to do your own research on it, but from my talks with people and from what I have over heard, there are alot of waiting lists and problems from the NHS. In comparison, I think you might find you will be no better off with the medical system here. And you are paying a small bit out of your own wages for the NHS.

Oh the economy seriously crashed here. There were next to no jobs from december - may. Now they are starting to get on a roll again, but it's severly harsh still at the moment, with Alot of competition.
    Not to sure I follow you on the Global warming aspect. How has that hit Canada directly so badly that it has affected the economic state there so drastically? My girl friend studies environmental studies, and I'm aware of some aspects of Canada's issues, like the northern frozen lakes melting releasing methane gases into the atmosphere which ups the temp and in the end increases the rate at which the lakes melt. And the forest fires and that.

Donno, what do you mean by that?

13. PandorasToybox

Tons of rain where I live sooooo agriculture is suffering badly. Winnipeg is flooding like crazy again, as well as Alberta thru to Winnipeg & parts of Ontario are constantly being hit w/ Tornados & rain so against agriculture & everything else is getting destroyed. So the west is going to hell & its slowly moving this way. Although I heard as well that Alberta is having some trouble with drought hitting the farmers fields again. Besides that the economy just isnt what it used to be probably from many, many factors.

14. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Pfft, the heck with the UK, you should come to New Hampshire.

We have no sales tax! :p

15. PandorasToybox

Haha SOLD! :tongue: No taxes are good taxes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.