Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ~Claire, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with this med?

I was prescribed it today...70mg for 2 nights then 140mg for 12 nights then back to the GP to be assessed.

I have no idea what it's like as I have never heard of it.

Claire xx
  2. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Lofepramine is a tricyclic antidepressant that metabolizes to Desipramine - I've been on Desipramine. Sometimes I had muscle pain and my mouth was really dry - also I felt pretty lethargic on it.

It's odd to be perscribed a tricyclic these days when SRI's are available; is this the first antidepressant you've been on? If so, I'd ask your doctor to be on an SRI instead because of less side effects - tricyclics can be pretty nasty after a while of being on them.

You can read up on Desipramine here: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/desipram_ad.htm . Hope it helps.
  3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Galalleni. I've been on Escitalopram, Fluoxetine & Mirtazipine before I think those are SRI's but I can't be sure, they didn't help me anyways.

They said the Lofepramine will help me sleep but from what I've googled that doesn't seem to be the case. All the info is making me a bit apprehensive about taking it.
  4. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

I have been on Lofepramine for about 8 months and it lifted me out of my depression, I had a good 8 months on it but it started to no longer be effective and fizzled out :(. Worst side effect I had was I got these really hot flushes that it felt like my skin was on fire. But that aside it was a very good medication for me. I had tried SRI's but they were mostly ineffective. I wish you the best on them and hope they work for you.
  5. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

I was on lofepramine a number of years ago. I don't really think it did any good for me, but if I remember rightly, the one thing that does stand out for me was walking down the high street and being overcome by a really dry mouth, an unquenchable thirst.

from the list of medication you've been on, it looks like you've been through a variety of SSRIs, which is usually the first line of 'attack' as it were. TriCyclics work in a slightly different way from what I understand.

Everyone is different, which is why that some medications work better for some people than others.

I'm currently taking Citalopram and I'm now becoming sceptical of the benefits to me. I'm going discuss it with my GP soon.

Hope it goes ok, and keep us updated. Best of luck.