Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Kaos General, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I need a thread to keep me occupied and need to keep my brain kind of active so basically it goes like this, you answer the post above before posting your own i shall start.

You can paddle your canoe seven miles per hour through any placid lake. The stream flows at three miles per hour. The moment you start to paddle up stream a fisherman looses one of his bobbers in the water fourteen miles up stream of you.

How many hours does it take for you and the bobber to meet?
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Omg, this question is making me want to throw my computer into the lake you posted about. :p
  4. Kaos General

Ok heres the answer. Forget at how fast the stream is flowing at, its a placid lake remember!!! Hes fourteen miles upstream, and you are traveling at 7 miles an hour. 14 divided by 7 = 2!!!

Heres another one

Mary's mum has four children.
    The first child is called April.
    The second May.
    The third June.
    What is the name of the fourth child?
  5. Nerve

Nerve Well-Known Member

Mary :D
  6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Nice idea, however, you said "can paddle" not "are paddling". Plus "the moment you start to paddle up stream" which suggests that you are paddling in a stream, which would make me ask, which way is the stream flowing, with or against you? :)
  7. Kaos General

I know i dumbed it down for a few people because they got a bit confused :lol!:
  8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

OK, this one has been in movies and other forms of media. It's been told in several different ways, but the one I remember first and best is as follows:

A man comes to a fork in the road. Only one will get him to the city he is going to and the other will take him into a labarynth from which he cannot possibly escape.

Guarding the roads are two overseer's who will not let him pass unless he can figure out the correct road. One of them always tells the truth while the other always lies. He can ask only one question of one of these two overseer's.

What question does he ask that will give him the correct road to take.

**If anyone knows of this one, please correct any of the above that may be slightly off. I think I set it up properly enough though so it can be figured out.

*** Boy, I sure hope someone can answer and explain this because the explanation is almost is confusing as the question.
  9. Kaos General

the answer is If I had asked the other overseer which road was the correct road, which road would he have pointed to!! lol Ive heard this one in a variety of different ways!!

Heres another one,

Cathy has six pairs of black socks and six pairs of white socks in her drawer.

In complete darkness, and without looking, how many socks must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?
  10. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

3 :D

Here is another. Its an old one but it was the only "math" problem i ever enjoyed figuring out

A farmer is standing on one bank of a river, with a fox, a chicken, and a bag of grain. He needs to get to the other side of the river, taking the fox, the chicken, and the grain with him.

However, the boat used to cross the river is only large enough to carry the farmer and one of the things he needs to take with him, so he will need to make several trips in order to get everything across.

In addition, he cannot leave the fox unattended with the chicken, or else the fox will eat the chicken; and he cannot leave the chicken unattended with the grain, or else the chicken will eat the grain. The fox is not particularly partial to grain, and may be left alone with it.

How can he get everything across the river without anything being eaten?
  11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think this one was in "Fermat's Room" which was a pretty good movie and contained a bunch of these puzzles. And, I FORGOT THE ANSWER!

But, can he put the fox in the grain bag and then take those across and come back for the chicken? I think this may be lame, but may be close!

Also I don't have another puzzle yet.
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

F = forward, B = back

F: Chicken
    B: Nothing
    F: Grain
    B: Chicken
    F: Fox
    B: Nothing
    F: Chicken

Now for a slight twist on an old puzzle:

13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Lol, well not in the answer I know. Actually I don't think so. I think it's a revolved around a "weight" issue with taking more than 1 on the boat aswell :D

Yeap! Gotta love the classics :) lol at that pic
  14. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I was a bit slow to post but since i started i thought i would post anyways:

You should ask. Which way would the other guy tell me is the correct way home. Then you go the oppersite way.

Seen this done a few ways.

Thirteen, Cathy could take out six black left foot socks and then six white left foot socks, the next one would have to be either the right foot or left foot match.

Try this. no cheating:

What set of numbers comes next in this series?

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Decode, first sock is colour A
    Second sock is either A or B
    Third sock is either A or B

If either second or third sock is A, you have a pair.
    If both second and third socks are B you have a pair.

You only need 3. The pigeon-hole principle is only needed if you need a pair of socks of colour A for sure.
  16. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I was going to say three. I fear i have over thought this. I suppose it depends whether you see right and left foot socks as the same sock, my answer assumes you don't. Two left foot socks don't make a pair for example. I think i was thinking of gloves.
    Go on then Chuck, put me out of my misery.
  17. Kaos General

its 3, when has anyone ever bought a left and a right sock??
  18. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I tried this for half an hour or has it been an hour?.. started using equations and everything, breaking down the number of 1's there placements, how many 1's maybe they equate to a 2(3ect)..

needless to say I cheated and now know the anwer. Boy I cheated myself, wish i had kept trying. Awsome question, I hope someone figures it out for themselves :)
  19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Could someone please post the answer to the numbers game so I can go to sleep tonight? Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
  20. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Ill pm it you :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.