Loneliness, Isolation and Depression in the new reality

Anyone else feeling lonely and isolated? I have my husband but only a handful of friends and they live far away from me (1 hour or more drive and I don't have a vehicle right now). We would usually see my husband's sister and niece regularly but they both have immune disorders and are extremely worried about being around anyone. I miss going for coffee and/or dinner with them.

I feel depressed by what is going on in the world (the virus) and it has increased my usual isolation. I know I'm lucky to have my husband. I'm working from home now which I like in many ways, but I do miss seeing the co-workers I'm friendly with.

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
I'm generally a social person. I love being out and around people, just interacting. So this has been really tough. I'm not completely isolated, there are a few family members and friends I'm able to see every so often. But this all happened right after I moved into a new apartment, so I know very few people in my area. I'd planned on starting a new volunteer position and joining an organization, but both had to be postponed indefinitely because of the virus. So I'm feeling the isolation and struggling with it.

I wonder if taking a break from the news would make you feel better. TV news especially thrives on hyping crisis and getting people worked up. That's not to say that Covid isn't a big deal...it certainly is. It's just that you don't need to get caught up in the intense emotions that the media often tries to stir. I just read the news online a couple times a week and I'm happy with my approach.

Could you have a skype or zoom meeting with co-workers?

Fortunately for me quarantine = my normal lifestyle, so it hasn't been as big a deal for me. I think it's been rough on a lot of people though, and especially those for whom jobs, health, and the jobs and health of their loved ones have been effected.

I'm generally a social person. I love being out and around people, just interacting. So this has been really tough. I'm not completely isolated, there are a few family members and friends I'm able to see every so often. But this all happened right after I moved into a new apartment, so I know very few people in my area. I'd planned on starting a new volunteer position and joining an organization, but both had to be postponed indefinitely because of the virus. So I'm feeling the isolation and struggling with it.
Yes I'm in a new city as well, which is just one more reason I haven't been able to see friends. I have had a few WhatsApp calls with video, but somehow it's not the same as being with someone in person and being able to hug.

I don't actually watch news. I do read it on my phone for maybe 10 minutes a day. That is enough for sure. I am very worried about the virus as I have athsma and I'm certain I would die if I get it.

I miss having dinner in a restaurant, family gatherings, seeing a movie and just interacting with other humans.

lightning05

It's harder. Like you a lot of my friends live an hour or more away. I live with my boyfriend and my 2 cats so at least I'm not alone. I've been getting close with my cats lately lol. I miss the movies, going out for a coffee, or grabbing a beer or two after work for happy hour (even if I did that alone). Before this started I signed up for a knitting class and was going to sign up for a dance class. I also signed up to volunteer and everything got canceled. It's frustrating. I have been chatting on SF a lot lately and video calls when I can. Hang in there! We are here for you *hug

It's harder. Like you a lot of my friends live an hour or more away. I live with my boyfriend and my 2 cats so at least I'm not alone. I've been getting close with my cats lately lol. I miss the movies, going out for a coffee, or grabbing a beer or two after work for happy hour (even if I did that alone). Before this started I signed up for a knitting class and was going to sign up for a dance class. I also signed up to volunteer and everything got canceled. It's frustrating. I have been chatting on SF a lot lately and video calls when I can. Hang in there! We are here for you *hug
YES, I miss taking classes, too. Some are online but it's not the same.
Re: your cats: Pets are the best! My two kitties make me feel like I'm not alone even when my husband is out.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I'm struggling, too. It's just me and my cat. During April and May I was out of work but kept in regular touch with my folks and a couple of friends. I returned to work in mid-June when the lockdown lifted and these few connections came to an abrupt stop. I go to work, come home, go the grocery store, but spend zero time with friends. And my folks, well I don't want to go into it, but they've pretty much stopped talking to me. I have so many emotions and thoughts about what's going on in the world but I haven't had a real conversation or connection with anyone in months. I feel like I'm moving through world like a phantom, invisible, no one sees or cares a wit. So yeah @Lady Wolfshead I think there are many of us who feel lonely, isolated, and depressed. {hug}

I'm struggling, too. It's just me and my cat. During April and May I was out of work but kept in regular touch with my folks and a couple of friends. I returned to work in mid-June when the lockdown lifted and these few connections came to an abrupt stop. I go to work, come home, go the grocery store, but spend zero time with friends. And my folks, well I don't want to go into it, but they've pretty much stopped talking to me. I have so many emotions and thoughts about what's going on in the world but I haven't had a real conversation or connection with anyone in months. I feel like I'm moving through world like a phantom, invisible, no one sees or cares a wit. So yeah @Lady Wolfshead I think there are many of us who feel lonely, isolated, and depressed. {hug}
Why did you lose touch with your friends and folks? If you want to talk privately PM me. I'm so sorry you lost your connections. At least you have us online. *hug

BraveFace

SF Supporter
Yes, this has been a strange time. I never thought I was a lonely person as most of the time I am 'alone' but lately I have been feeling it. It's exhausting. Next week I am going out to lunch with someone from work (thank god some restaurants are open now), so am hoping that will break things up for me. It's also the shops being closed, you can't nip out and get milk as easily, the high street is dead apart from there being loads of kids around. It's all a bit disorientating

Sunday16

SF Supporter
Thanks for your comment Lady Wolfshead, but I'm under no illusions that anyone really wants to have an actual conversation about another person's struggles, specifically mine. I'm not saying this because I feel sorry for myself, it's simply been my experience in life, and on this site as well.

Angel777

Hi lady wolfshead It’s a very tough time for so many people ,,espechilly with a second lockdown. i Won’t list all the negative impacts it’s had on people ,as it will make me more depressed. You said you miss visiting family, and going out . I would say ring family up, as they might be struggling too. And it would lift your mood. As for having a coffee, their are some cafes open at the moment , perhaps you could grab a cake and coffee, on your own , I know it’s tough , but at least your getting out . Change of scenery , a bus ride to a differant town are all little things , you could do, some cinemas are open , and they are quiet during the day,, so it might be worth going there. just a few things you could try , till this virus goes away . wish you all the best anyway

memyselfand1

University Student
My friends are all dead and rest don't bother or text me and it’s a real struggle with my friends at uni so I have spent technically 30 oddyears alone isolated so this lockdown is nothing to what I am used to. it’s like a walk in the park. I have tried all groups activities clubs and all turned to dust, so I’m focusing on gaming, my course and online communitites.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00