• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Loneliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a personal driver when I was in middle school (9th grade). He wasn't well educated, and he wasn't really attractive, and always smelled of smoke and beer. He wouldn't talk much about himself. I'm not sure why he wouldn't, but maybe he simply had nothing to talk about. He wasn't married, had no kids, and he never mentioned family to anyone I know. To top it off, he was old and his car was his only means of business...which recently broke down.

I feel so shitty thinking how he had to cope with everything by himself. How, maybe, he'd had to accept that things won't go his way. How, as each year passed, the chances of him finding a significant other decreased until it was nothing. How hopeless he may have felt as his inevitable unemployment would meet him.

It's one thing having the weight of the universe on your shoulder, but having some family, or friends or anyone that you can talk or relay to. But it's another thing having to fight against the universe... Alone.

Just the suffering he would have to endure just seems unbearable. But I can't shake off the feeling that he and I have things in common.

It's such a scary thought.

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
I used to have a personal driver when I was in middle school (9th grade). He wasn't well educated, and he wasn't really attractive, and always smelled of smoke and beer. He wouldn't talk much about himself. I'm not sure why he wouldn't, but maybe he simply had nothing to talk about. He wasn't married, had no kids, and he never mentioned family to anyone I know. To top it off, he was old and his car was his only means of business...which recently broke down.

I feel so shitty thinking how he had to cope with everything by himself. How, maybe, he'd had to accept that things won't go his way. How, as each year passed, the chances of him finding a significant other decreased until it was nothing. How hopeless he may have felt as his inevitable unemployment would meet him.

It's one thing having the weight of the universe on your shoulder, but having some family, or friends or anyone that you can talk or relay to. But it's another thing having to fight against the universe... Alone.

Just the suffering he would have to endure just seems unbearable. But I can't shake off the feeling that he and I have things in common.

I guess a positive impact of depression and loneliness is that we are more open to sympathy, just so that we are able to feel the pain of others, who are no longer foreign beings to use due to the similarities in term of suffering and surviving in this society.

Do you want to talk to your personal driver?

I guess a positive impact of depression and loneliness is that we are more open to sympathy, just so that we are able to feel the pain of others, who are no longer foreign beings to use due to the similarities in term of suffering and surviving in this society.

Do you want to talk to your personal driver?
Thank you for commenting.

I think in most situations, people can emphasize with each other over the challenges of life. Having depression, or feeling lonely is just another (rather sad) struggle to bond over.

I mostly refer to my past driver because he represents a question a lot of people avoid answering, or can't answer. Obviously, he can be seen as an outlier - a phenomenon that's unusual. Most people would not be able to relate to him or his situation. But I think he shows something that more people should be more aware of.

What are your impressions about him? Have you met anyone that conveys what he does? If you were someone like this, how would you feel about life?

It should go without saying that you don't have to answer these questions, but I would be interested in your thoughts if you do feel comfortable commenting back.

Waves

Yes it is awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00