Long distance relationship question.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by xan, Sep 2, 2009.

How often should a couple who are apart for a while contact each other?

1. As much of their free time as possible

10 vote(s)
  2. Once a day if possible

14 vote(s)
  3. Every other day or so

6 vote(s)
  4. One or two times a week

1 vote(s)
  5. Every week

1 vote(s)
  6. Every other week

0 vote(s)
  1. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Hi, me and my gf are long distance for a couple of months while she's at home for the summer. She'll be back soon... but I was just wondering roughly how often it's normal for a couple to contact each other while they're apart? Thanks.

Oh and does anyone have any advice on what you should do if you have an argument while apart?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

First off... Spending all you time on contacting each other may seem like fun at first. But if your like me after the first couple months.. like 8 or so. you will run out of things to say. Spending all day talking to each other keeps you from doing anything with your day which keeps you from having anything to say about your day.

If you girlfriend is like mine she will notice the decline in real talking and well she will demand you to talk to her and that there will cause problems cause well you been talking to her all day about nothing and you got nothing to say.

Then of course she will get so used to it that she will demand every moment of your life thus demanding you let go of all friends and thoughts of just hanging out so you can talk to her.. about nothing.. cause you have nothing to say. cause you been talking to her.. all day.. everyday..

My case is my case. For everyone its different. Some people enjoy such a life. Some people can make there entire world circle around there significant other and nothing else. I love my significant other any yet i just cant live up to her expectations.

Like i said you will find out what works for you. I just hope yours is more reasonable. After the first couple months when i ran out of things to say and i asked mine to have some time to myself...just a couple hours a day.. you know.. listen to music, video games, goto stores.. She flipped out and told me to leave her if i wanted to be away from her. Im sure your not in the same situation.

I've been around alot of people who have been able to make the long distance relationship work. Im talking girlfriends, wives, kids.. that type of stuff.. The common denominator is having a predetermined communication schedule like half hour a day or ever other day.. or email everyday or whatever and so on. With out the schedule it just doesn't work. Cause basically.. talking every second doesn't work, and not knowing when you will talk again doesn't work. Im not saying you cant spend all day talking cause well sometimes that can be fun and enjoyable. Just don't make it the norm.

You just gotta find out what works for you. :wink:

let me know if this helps..
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I wish she wanted to talk to me :dry: we've hardly talked at all and I seem to be the one putting all the effort in whenever we do. Yet she still says she wants a relationship when she gets back.
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm also in a long distance relationship and I'd say once a day or every other day.
  5. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

Well is she saying she doesnt want to talk at all or just not so much? If its not so much its no problem. Like i said everyone has their level of communication. Its most important to apply a little give and take. Work for that middle ground that will please you both.

In my case i failed to reach that simply cause the person im with wants it there way and could care less for what i need. I suppose im a gluten for punishment for im still with her. If you cant work something out your headed for massive failure. Sad but true. Unless you could careless about your self and just accept not getting what you want. :dry:
  6. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Me and my girlfriend are in a long distance relationship, and will be for the next couple of years, but we talk alot, like constantly almost, and we only find it hard when we have to leave, we never run out of things to say, and we never ever get bored of each other.. I think I'm personally in one of the best situations.
  7. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Pretty much the first...
  8. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

If that the case your gonna have to work something out.. Talk about how you feel.. Or well its not gonna work. I dont know how often you will find your selves apart from each other. But if its gonna be often and you cant settle then its just gonna be a lot of disappointment.