Long distance relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by xoCherie, Jun 23, 2012.

1. xoCherie

xoCherie Well-Known Member

I think I may be in a long distance relationship with my friend of seven years. God, seven years we've known each other...he knows everything about me, literally everything. He was there for me when I first started getting flashbacks, when I was going through my first relationships, when I went through the rape last year. He was the one who helped me realize I've got depression, he was the one who I turned to when I had questions about the boys I was dating, he was the one who I would message late at night crying when I wanted to be cheered up. He put up with me dealing with N's shit, he has been there for me so, so much the last seven years, he's been the one constant throughout everything.
    I went on Skype with him today, and we hadn't really spoken since I first told him about the shit I was dealing with when staying with my sister, and I told him about Sunday and about how I started self harming. He made me promise that if I felt like ODing again to message him and get a "M____ OD" which made me laugh so much. He kept saying how cute my smile is, and how adorable it is that I blush and get shy about the most casual things. We're planning to meet up in a few months, as America is a long way to go. New York, to be exact. But I can wait. I've wanted to meet him since I first started talking to him, I even daydreamed about the day when I would. What would we do when we first met each other at the airport, the trip back to his, the first meal we'd have, and sleeping in his arms.

I think I know who I'll be dreaming about tonight.

2. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

That sounds really nice.
    Congrats!

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm happy for you...long distance never works out for me, but that's because I suck at relationships, lol. Sounds like you have a great guy there and I know you will have a blast. :)

4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Wow! That's great! Long-distance relationships can be very hard to keep up and I'm glad yours has lasted this long and you guys will finally meet up for the first time.
    I hope to do that with a friend/s I know over the internet as well and live in another country. :)

5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'd be wary.

I'm glad that's going well and don't want to put a cigarette to your balloon but I have never seen an LDR work out and I've seen lots.

Hopefully your case will differ.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have been in a long distance relationship with my fiance for almost 5 years, although we do live in the same country so we are able to see each more often than perhaps you would your bf. They can work, it's just very draining from time to time.

7. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Lol, I'm just going to throw out something completely cynical as someone who has been in more than one long distance relationship... long distance relationships work far better than short distance ones. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, it's living with somebody that makes you want to strangle them. :laugh:

8. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

haha maybe what you need is an open relationship rather than a long distance one.

9. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

This sounds lovely. I'm pleased for you.

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  10. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

yea i'd say it can be hard but it can also work out well. for example, i have a friend who's now going to marry a guy she met on in internet. he's going to move here to estonia from america. tho i don't kno how long they're been in a relationship, it seems to be going rly well for them^^

11. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

My husband and I met online about 5 years ago and will be celebrating our one year of marriage in a few days, so online/long distance relationships can work. I hope everything goes well :)

12. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

Just be careful. It sounds like you have a long-distance FRIENDship, not romantic relationship, unless it has been very specifically verbalized and there is some sexual component.