LOng term therapy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by foolnomore, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

I have just finished CBT and my therapist and GP have referred me for long term therapy for my depression. I am not sure exactly what form the therapy will take, will ask when I see my support worker next week. Has anyone had long term therapy for depression and what does it involve. I would like to hear from someone who has actually been through it , I have been told by the support worker, gp and CBT therapist that it will be tough but worthwhile. CBT was hard to begin with but became easier and has helped me to cope a bit better but I am wondering if delving into the past (I have been told that is what the therapy will entail ) is the way forward.
  2. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

Hey Johnnie - you mention whether delving into the past is the way forward.

Just throwing this out there - It IS important to understand your past...but one thing I feel they leave out is how to feel happy NOW. And without happiness and feeling good NOW, it's hard to struggle through years more of life, especially just to do more therapy hahah!! Talking is really important, especially talking to friends and feeling supported. We need to seek things that make us HAPPY so we can actually feel excited about life. Understanding the past is important so you don't repeat...but feeling good and interested in life TODAY is the goal. At least, that's the case for me. :)
  3. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

Long-term therapy is mostly about having someone there to help you practice what you have learned, and problem-solve when new road blocks come up. Because CBT is pretty straightforward it is less important who the person is, but you absolutely have to have someone you like for long-term therapy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.