• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

long-term use of meds

ok, well i havent been on my meds thaaaat long, but im wondering about the long-term effects on my body/ mental state.

at the moment i'm on:
venlafaxine - anti-depressant
olanzapine - anti-psychotic
chlorpromazine- anti-psychotic
lorazepam - tranquiliser

i've been on the anti-psychotics and tranquilisers for about 2 years now and the anti-ds for about 6 months.

one thing i've noticed is that when i dont take my meds i stay awake all night, i cant sleep without them, and (womens stuff) i haven't had a period for over a year and a half. the dr said that can be a side-effect of the anti-psychotics but its kinda worrying.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated. xxx

mike25

Hello broken_slate. I'd say sleeplessness is a common side effect when missing doses. Many medications subdue us. So when we suddenly stop taking, it's like a pressure valve being released - energy explodes from us. The cessation of periods is a much less common side effect. I'd ask my doctor for further information on that score. Unfortunately, nobody can say for definite what the long term effects (mentally) are.

I'm only on Citalopram (anti-d) at the mo. Side effects: Lethargy, confusion are the main ones.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Watch it with the anti-psychotics hun, the lobg term effects can be very bad for the body. (One can be parkinsins disease in later life).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00