Longest word

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by neverdie, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neverdie

neverdie Guest

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Meaning :

also spelled -koniosis) is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust found in volcanoes' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word."[1] It was coined to serve as the longest English word[2].

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

There's also Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-Llantysiliogogogoch. Name of a town in north wales. Try saying that when drunk, or sober.

3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

lol looks like you just had a massive hand spasm on the keyboard.:tongue:

4. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

This is the longest word: Lopado*temacho*selacho*gameo*kranio*leipsano*drim*hypotrimmato*silphio*karaomelito*katakechymeno*kichl*epi*kossypho*phatto*perister*alektryon*opte*kephallio*kinklo*peleio*lagoio*siraio*baphe*tragano*pterygon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopado...pterygon

5. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

what about

[​IMG]

it is one word, just couldnt be fit one one line ,(so i couldnt be bothered to type it) it is the name for Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlememse Strain, it has 1185 characters :eek:hmy:

6. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

This is the longest word:

Lo*pa*do*te*ma*kho*se*la*kho*ga*meo*kra*nio*lei*psa*no*dri*my*po*trim*ma*to*sil*phio*ka*ra*bo*me*li*to*ka*ta*ke*khy*me*no*ki*khle*pi*kos*sy*pho*phat*to*pe*ri*ste*ra*lek*try*o*nop*to*ke*phal*lio*kig*klo*pe*lei*o*la*gōi*o*si*rai*o*ba*phē*tra*ga*nop*te*rý*gōn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopado...pterygon

Sry about double post, error while editing. i dunno why its * instead of words, look into the wikipedia link!

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am not going to try and pronounce any of them. :blink:

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenakitanatahu is the Māori name for a hill, 305 metres high, close to Porangahau, south of Waipukurau in southern Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.ogg (help·info), also spelled -koniosis) is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust found in volcanoes' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word

10. Daze&Confused

Daze&Confused Antiquitie's Friend

Methionylglutaminylarginytyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglut-
    aminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanyvalyl-
    prolylphenylalanylvalythreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolyglycylisoleucylglut-
    amylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglut-
    amylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylglycylisoleu-
    cylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucelalanylaspartyglycylprolythreo-
    nylisoleucylglutamiylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalan-
    ylalanylglycylvalyltheonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanygllutam-
    ylmethionylleucyalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthre-
    onylisoleucylpriIylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparag-
    inylleucylvalyphenylalanylasparaginyllysylgyycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylph-
    enylalanyltyrosylalanylgutaminyllcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylavlylaspart-
    ylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalyprolylvalylglutaminylglutamyllserylal-
    anyprolyphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylaspara-
    ginylvaylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspart-
    ylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginyglutaminylisoleucylalanyyls-
    eryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylal-
    anylglycylvalythreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylanylalanylleucyl-
    prolylleucylaspaaginylhistidylleucylvaylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosyla-
    saraginylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyl-
    lysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylalanyglycylalanylalanyglycylalanylisol-
    eucylserylglycyserylalanylisoleucylbalyllsylisoleucylisoleucylglutamyyylgluta-
    minylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolyglutamyllysylmethionylleucyla-
    lanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalabylvalylglutaminlylprolylmethionyllysylala-
    nylalanylthreonylarginylserine

It’s the scientific name for Tryptophan synthetase, which is a protein containing 267 amino acids. It contains 1,846 letters.

11. danni

danni Chat Buddy

:eek:hmy: i agree with corrina i not even gonna try to say those words :laugh:

12. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Alright, peeps, stop having hand spasms. :nono:

13. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Flaming heck :eek:hmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.