Looking for ideas to stay awake after not sleeping all night

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by kushioncut, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kushioncut

kushioncut Active Member

Anyone have any ideas on stayinbg awake all day after not sleeping all night due to pain? I sleep 2-3 hours a night and am expected to return to work full time on Monday. I asked my dr if i could take caffeine pills so i can stay awake and alert. She said they are to strong and interfere with my anxiety meds. Her thought was tea or coffee which I dont like, and soda dont keep me alert. Anyone have any ideas? I was supposed to return to work last Monday, but they sent me home for the week since I was walking around like a zombie and shaking.

I have to find a way to fall asleep tomorrow night and then stay awake during the day. Afraid I will be reaching for the tylenol pm in excess.

2. Kate777

Kate777 Well-Known Member

Hey kushioncut,

Sorry to hear you're in pain. I presume the Dr. won't give you anything to help you sleep? Personally I've found caffeine can exacerbate anxiety so if you have anxiety issues going on as well you may not want to overdo the caffiene. Apparently any food that contains tyramine helps keep you awake but don't know whether that's true from personal experience. However, I have used a cosmetic product that helps (sounds weird I know), there is a product in the UK that you apply just under your eyes and it does actually wake you up. You know when you're exhausted, eyes stinging, can barely open them etc? Not sure how it works but I used it a lot when I was a student and it was amazing. Unfortunately it's a brand that they only sell in the UK but I'm sure there will be a US equivalent, maybe worth a trip to a cosmetic counter and asking around. Over here it's pretty cheap as well, under £10 so worth it if it helps you focus at work. Not sure what you're working environment is like but perhaps trying to stay cold, drinking ice water, air con etc would help as I know I always feel tired if I'm in a warm office.

I'm sure you've already considered all your options but is there anyway your work would allow you to work shorter hours for a little while, just so you can try and get the pain issue sorted out? Might be better for you to be able to be more effective for a few hours and catching up on your sleep if that's possible. Anyway, hope you manage to get some sleep before work and feel better soon.

3. kushioncut

kushioncut Active Member

Thank you for your suggestions Kate. I hadnt thought of trying to stay in a cold environment, or drinking ice wayer, which are two things that I can easily do. My dr gave me vicodin to take at night, but it wears off after 2 hours and I am jolted awake in pain.

4. Kate777

Kate777 Well-Known Member

Glad you can at least change the temperature of your working environment, that should help at least in the short term. Also, taking a few short breaks and getting some fresh air may be useful if you can do that. Is the pain an on-going thing or something you hope will be resolved soon?

5. kushioncut

kushioncut Active Member

The pain has been ongoiing since January.My new dr made a referal to the pain clinic, but i cant get an appt with them til Nov.

One idea you gave me about staying cold is i have a long communte to work, if its chilly in morn, i will have all thee windows down in my car.If its not cold out, I will blast AC. At least if i can look a little awake in morning, maybe i wont get sent home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.