Looking for support as a friend of someone struggling.

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by nrobidoux, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrobidoux

nrobidoux New Member

I've been trying to find a forum, maybe I haven't used the correct words in Google to get a good result, for people who know of someone who is going through very difficult times and considering this as an option. Actually I haven't asked because I don't want to know the specifics.... maybe I should... she may have attempted already two months ago.

Nothing in her life seems to be going the way she wants. It's been a struggle for her. When I ask how she is or what's been happening a common response is, "It's been rough." ... and that's it. Now she's on meds and it's still "rough." She's away from her son, has no job, no money, she'll be back at home with her parents in a few days (which is better than where she is but still not great), little to no real friends.... I'd like to say I'm one but I've had a romantic interest in her that I've just kinda put on pause because of all the stuff she's going through.

I'd like to be there for her. Help her. Do something. Say something. I just don't know what to do or say. :/ Should I ask for "details" as to why she's feeling this way? Should I try and create positive experiences for her? Should I have her look in the proverbial mirror? All three? More?

She is a very beautiful person. I hate to see her hurting and would like to do what I can.

I'm not sure I came to the right place. If I didn't please let me know where to go. Thanks.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and I am so impressed what a good friend you are...it sounds like your friend needs your caring and support, and also professional intervention...maybe you can talk to her and tell her your concerns and direct her towards the help she needs...having a safe place where we can feel connected and understood is critical when we are in distress...the degree to which you reveal to her what she is doing will depend upon her...I usually allow people to express how they are feeling and take my cues from that...also, do you have a relationship with her parents? Are they aware of how she is doing and are they being supportive? I hope this has been helpful and please continue to ask about what has been necessary for others to deal with these situations

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.