Looking for ways to reduce weight

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by wanttodie, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I think I have a severe problem with this one. I have gained almost 15-16 KG in less than 2 years or so . I can't find time to exercise because of work schedule and my work is sedentary. I think my social phobia and severe depression is also contributing to my weight problems. I have become lazy and have problems in getting up even after 9-10 hours of sleep. Please suggest some tips for reducing weight. Do you know about the slimming pills ?
  2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I'd say to choose walking over driving, if you can, and a diet never hurt.
  3. Slimming pills - I'd not recommend them as most of them are just a con.
    Though some do work - my sister is living proof of that!
    But I wouldn't recommend using slimming/dieting pills.

I'd recommend three healthy meals a day, with fruit as a snack during the day if you get peckish. Or something very healthy. Fruit is quite nice, in my opinion. Strawberries, grapes, oranges, bananas, apples, things like that.

Cut ALL junk out. Crisps, chocolate, ice cream, sweets, stuff like that. Though you could have some OCCASIONALLY if you really want to. Just keep an eye on it.

Exercising... if you can't go out, do what I do.
    Push ups.
    Jumping jacks.
    Or just run on the spot for a few minutes.
    Something that gets your heart beating!

BUT remember to STRETCH before exercising - stretching makes the muscles flex out and such, and if you don't stretch, you could do yourself some serious damage if you just jump right into exercising.
    Take it easy.
    Don't push yourself.
    But don't sit around all day doing nothing, try and fit in some execising when you can.
    And IF you feel up to it, just go for a walk around your neighbourhood, or walk up to your local shops - sometimes, walks can be very calming too, and it can give you time to think and stuff. But I really do understand the social phobia situation, so if you can't do it, don't worry about it.

Just don't diet overload.
    Don't change your calorie intake to under 1,000.
    Don't push yourself to the extreme.
    And don't start throwing up your meals.

Do it the, how people say, healthy way.

Hope this helped, and goodluck.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I probably know how you're feeling. for a year of my life I was constantly tired, and my depression was slowing down my entire system, metabolism, mental processing, etc. I didn't even have to overeat, my metabolism alone was enough to make me gain weight through sluggishness and oversleeping...
    What you have to do, and I feel like I can honestly give you advice since I've been through the same thing, is increase your energy expenditure- 'kick it up a notch' and so on such that you're moving more during the day. Shoot, even caffeine will help within reason. but you'll be able to tell when you're just pushing yourself a little more to move and fidget, basically forcing yourself to be more active even in simple motions-this is harder to explain than I thought it would be!! what you're trying to do is increase your basal metabolic rate so that without exercising you are still working your system more than you are now...
    If you're socially anxious and not a morning person do what I do and exercise at night. I hate gyms because people judge and look at you, and I'm not there to socialize. HATE gyms. So I run when it gets dark and this works really well for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.