Looking for work for a cutter

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by TaraJo, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Just a few days ago, I was so stressed out I relieved that stress by cutting on myself quite a bit. The underside of my forearm was already covered in scars but now there are alot of fresh cuts there, too.

The difficult part to deal with is that I need to find a job now, too. So, how do I go in to interview for a job and look good with all those scars on my arm? It's bad enough that I'm a transsexual, but the cutting is only going to make things worse. Any tips?
  2. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Bandages. If they ask, just say you have a tattoo that you feel it would be best to cover for work, as they would ask you to bandage it anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and good luck finding a job - keep us updated! :)
  3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

yeah,good luck finding work.:unsure:You seem like you have the right attitude..not afraid to try..that is inspiring.:smile:
    You can also wear long sleeves.They won't question that.Or they shouldn't.
    I really hope you can stop cutting yourself..in the end it only makes your life harder in a world where people do not want to understand in the first place.
  4. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Maybe; maybe not. It is August and I do live in Oklahoma. It gets pretty hot here. Also, the jobs I'm looking for, I'll be wearing scrubs and they don't make long sleeve scrubs. If they did, it would probably be REALLY easy to ruin them.

I do like the bandages idea; I can just say I cut myself some other way, right? Given time, these scars will nearly disappear (it's only light cutting).

Also, I have a slight advantage in that I have an Oklahoma CNA card, so I can simply find work doing that. The nursing field is in high demand, but, honestly, it has taken hits just like every field out there.
  5. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hi tarajo..
    just wanted 2 say iv had the same problem when i have worked places that have given me a short sleeved top 2 wear- i used 2 use 'tubi grips' 2 cover my arms.. they are for sprains on ur joints i think.. u will probably know what i mean beens as ur in the nursing field :)
    they wouldnt let me wear a cardigan.. so in the end i asked for some more shirts.. and made some of them in2 long sleeves.. im sure a tailors could do it 4 u if u dont like sewing machines..
    all the best in finding a job x
  6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Layer. Wear plain long sleeved shirts under scrubs.
  7. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

If its only light, I find that saying that its cat scratches works. But the tattoo thing works super well, too.
  8. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Sorry, but they don't look anything like cat scratches. I could try the tattoo idea, though.

Anyway, I applied to work at a nursing home today and ran into one of their employees that I worked with over a year ago at a different nursing home. He didn't recogonize me at all, of if he did, he had a pretty good poker face about it. I hope I get that job; it could be "interesting."
  9. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Hi Tarajo, you can wear sheer long sleeves if it's hot, they usually don't mind if you wear sleeves under your scrubs, as long as you're not going into theatre or anywhere you need to be sanitised, so it should be okay in a nursing home.
  10. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Actually, they DO make a big deal out of me keeping sanitized all over the place in a nursing home. Seriously, most CNA's carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer with them and we also have to wash our hands, usually, somewhere like 30 times a shift. Long sleeves really aren't realistic.

Well..... I can't say it should be too much of an issue, anyway; the cuts have nearly healed up and by Monday they probably won't be noticable unless you're specifically looking for them. Let's just hope I don't have another breakdown which causes me to cut again.

Honestly, I'm more worried that someone from the most promising nursing home I applied at worked with me "before." I was a totally different person back then.... literally! Well, I can't run from my past, can I?
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, if you do have a breakdown cut somewhere else! It would be best to not cut at all, but you should minimise the damage if you do. No one's looking at your thighs, in general.
  12. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

If I can just say to the OP, I used to work in Recruitment, I'm HR trained and a member of the CIPD, I'll be more than willing to help with interview prep, CVs or whatever you need.
  13. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

long sleeves... your best bet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.