Looking in a mirror and forgetting who you are

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by helen345, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helen345

helen345 Member

I wondered if anyone else experiences this. When I look in the mirror at myself for long enough, sometimes it takes a few minutes, other times it can only take 30 seconds, I'm capable of almost completely forgetting who I am and wondering who that person is, then realizing that of course it's me, and then thinking that can't be what I really look like, etc. It's a bit hard to explain what happens.
    It's never really occurred to me befre, because unless it's necessary I try to avoid using a mirror, but just recently I wondered if that means there is something physically wrong with my brain. How can I just forget who I am like that so easily? Does anyone else experience this, or I am just mental?

2. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

I have the same sort of thing going on atm... I dont remember my family or daughter... i dont feel any of them are really mine... its like im in the wrong body.... x

3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

This has been happening to me for years. It's part of depersonalization. I struggle with that a lot. I forget who I am when I look in the mirror and sometimes I don't feel human. Sometimes it's like I just feel handled and I'm just this "person" people call "Courtney" and I just sort of go with it until I snap back into reality. It can be scary but know you aren't alone in it. :hug:

4. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

Wow, yes I get this a LOT.
    It's been happeneing for years for me as well. I even say my own name but do not put two and two together. I look like a stranger to myself. I don't like this one bit :/
    I am sorry you guys feel this way too.

5. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

That exactly like me!! I dont feel im human its like im just this thing/body called Rachel and the people they say are my family aint there just people around me... its weird :?

6. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

I hate it when this happens, I feel like I'm totally disconnected from everyone, even myself. I'd type more, but this is an unfamiliar keyboard, so I suck at typing.

7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Yeah that happens to me all the time :(

8. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

big :hug: to us all

9. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

ditto that.
    :hug::hug::hug:

10. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

I never recognize the person in the mirror and don't like the one I see anyway, so I stopped looking. All I look at is the hair if I have to go out. Sometimes, I don't even do that.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm not the weight I was. And at times all the old anorexic thoughts come back re: losing weight, but yeah I can relate.

What you're describing sounds like depersonalisation to me..

12. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I used to do it lots more than I do now - but yeah ...

Like, who is that? A foggy disconnected feeling - someone else

Takes time to get back... :hug:

Take Care

13. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

it's like i can't be the guy looking back at me. it's so strange that i can lose myself easiest when staring into my reflections eyes, simply because i know that it isn't me i'm looking at. plus sometimes he seems so confident, whereas i just feel weak.

14. simon

simon Antiquitie's Friend

just been diagnosed with depersonalization and its freaky.
    its just like you're not you anymore, you're someone else looking at you through their eyes.

15. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

i know exactly what i see in the mirror and that's a loser without a life.

16. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

Your not alone.I feel like pencil marks that could easily be erased.
    And I've never once recognised the person in the mirror.
    Its a dissociation type thing. You don't feel alive and connected
    to your body. I feel realy like this today.
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm not just a dream.
    How do I feel alive? :/
    Well your not alone. :3

:hug:

17. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Maybe you have face blindness. It's actually called Prosopagnosia. Its severity can vary.

Only reason I know this is because there have been articles in Discover magazine recently about it.

For your sake I'll supply the wiki link for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

Also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopamnesia

... is related according to the wiki link.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.