Looks or personality?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Eric, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Yay for making a topic that's bound to be infested with hypocrisy!

Simple question. Do you prefer a girl/guy with all looks and little personality, all personality and little looks, or an above average balance of both?

Personality, I prefer the third one. I think that anyone who says they're all for personality regardless of how ugly the person is are lying and haven't been in such situation ):

And no, looking for a girl who takes care of the way she looks isn't shallow or superficial.

2. CPessimist

CPessimist Well-Known Member

last or first, depends on how little personality she has but I like pretty much anyone anyway! BUUUUUT I'm pretty shallow too I guess!

*edit: I'm retardard

3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

see i dont have a set thing, with girls i go for looks more so that personality, and with guys its normally personality that wins me over.

4. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Above average balance of both.

Just cos... who doesn't like the best of both worlds?! Two entrées in one meal!

(I do realize I look like a pig right now, but come on, be realistic.)

5. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Yeah, average balance of both is nice. I don't really care about looks that much, but it does play a part in a relationship, simply because in a relationship, there needs to be a physical connection too, and anyone who says otherwise isn't being truthful. Though, if someone has an awesome personality, there's a chance that I wouldn't care if they were unattractive. Depends a lot on personality, I guess.

6. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

Ahhh, this question hinges alot on what your definition of beauty or "looks" are.

As far as I know with my experiences, is that when you have that deep emotional connection with someone, you're going to find them attractive. (The worlds definition of beauty doesn't really apply there).

Do you want all style and no subtance? Flesh without bone?

I think if someone has that personality, and you have that connection with them, that whether or not they look like a magazine model, you're going to think they look beautiful. :smile:

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

That's just your brain blinding you and your good sense of judgement. Stupid love ):

8. AlexDanish

:laugh:

Seems I've run into the stone-hearted cynic.

9. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

They are both important in their own way.

I can like your personality, but if you aren't decent looking it's never going to turn into a sexual relationship. Don't have to be a supermodel, but decent looking - there needs to be some attraction and incentive.

You need both, you can't have 1 or the other.

10. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

i agree with SadDude87

although if i had to choose one on its own, personality would win. whats the point in being with someone who's got the lucks.. but know's nothing cares about nothing but themselves and whether a hair is out of place etc etc

11. special_needs

special_needs Well-Known Member

Looks are the first impression. So, even if we dont want to, we care a lot about it.
    Dispite that, i prefer personality. Just as all ugly people do.

12. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

nah, he's just perfect and special. and if he acts like an arse, God will
    forgive him anyway due to the fact that he is a fine wholesome upright
    CHRISTIAN pillar of the community :biggrin:

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

Ralph Waldo Emerson US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Personality dominates for me.

14. patacake

patacake Well-Known Member

A warm , kind , loving personality and awesome sense of humour gets me every time

:tongue:

15. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I obviously have to be physically attracted to someone but what determines that attraction varies. I've been attracted to all different types of people when it comes to looks.

The one thing that is very similar between all of them is their similar personalities. If I have a type, it's more of a personality type than physical looks.

It's also what I've determined to be my downfall. It takes longer for me to fall for someone because I have to get to know them. By then I've already been moved to friends only status.

16. AlexDanish

I've been afflicted with the same curse, it really sucks man :sad:

17. angus

angus Active Member

I would have to say a good sense of humor goes a long way with me. I think an initial attraction always gets things going in the right direction, but I think with a great personality and a little time someone can become more attractive. I have dated people who I intially wasn't really attracted to, but after I got to know them, there was something about who they were that made them so much more attractive. :biggrin:

18. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Remember to know the meaning of idioms before you use them as well ;)

19. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

My opinion can be summed up with: Looks will get you a first date, personality will get you a second. She has to be attractive. Attractive means I'm drawn to her sexually and emotionally. I'm a guy, it doesn't take a whole lot to attract me sexually. If she isn't fat and doesn't look like her makeup was applied with a shotgun then she's cute in my book. The cute girl with the stunner personality will win over the boring supermodel every time.

20. Angel_Dawn

Angel_Dawn Well-Known Member

LOL where are all the Reki's of the world??! Nice post! :biggrin: