1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lorazepam Prescription (I don't want to be an addict)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Julia-C, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I was given a prescription for lorazepam. 1mg dose twice a day.

Side affects include but not limited to:
    confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
    hyperactivity, agitation, hostility;
    hallucinations; or
    feeling light-headed, fainting.

What? This is one of the reasons I wanted to avoid drugs. The problem is I made a promise to myself that I would follow my therapists suggestions and not over think them. I also decided long ago to stay away from prescription drug (drugs in general) because I saw how they changed my mom. Now I break a promise to myself or a promise to myself.

I explained my anxiety towards taking medication, but I don't think she understood.

I have read the paperwork with the prescription and I realize so many of these warnings are for legal reasons. Still I don't want to become an addict. Can someone who has taken lorazepam please tell me what its affects are?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Addiction is reasonably likely with a 2mg/day dose for long periods of time, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it can be headed off by changing benzos after a couple of months. I've had no real side effects with lorazepam, though, but clonazepam caused panic attacks.

I will say this: you're likely to suffer a lot to not take meds if you've mental illness bad enough to be here. And if the lorazepam helps in a significant way, the addiction is probably less damaging than the disease.