Lorazepam Prescription (I don't want to be an addict)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Julia-C, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I was given a prescription for lorazepam. 1mg dose twice a day.

Side affects include but not limited to:
    confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
    hyperactivity, agitation, hostility;
    hallucinations; or
    feeling light-headed, fainting.

What? This is one of the reasons I wanted to avoid drugs. The problem is I made a promise to myself that I would follow my therapists suggestions and not over think them. I also decided long ago to stay away from prescription drug (drugs in general) because I saw how they changed my mom. Now I break a promise to myself or a promise to myself.

I explained my anxiety towards taking medication, but I don't think she understood.

I have read the paperwork with the prescription and I realize so many of these warnings are for legal reasons. Still I don't want to become an addict. Can someone who has taken lorazepam please tell me what its affects are?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Addiction is reasonably likely with a 2mg/day dose for long periods of time, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it can be headed off by changing benzos after a couple of months. I've had no real side effects with lorazepam, though, but clonazepam caused panic attacks.

I will say this: you're likely to suffer a lot to not take meds if you've mental illness bad enough to be here. And if the lorazepam helps in a significant way, the addiction is probably less damaging than the disease.