Losing Control of my emotional eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by cymbele, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I am starting to eat everything in the house. Out of control, even cookie dough. Any cookies in the house - somehow I am staying away from the ice cream. I have been doing this for a while and the weight is piling on. If I was to suicide it would be ok but lately I want to be alive so I don't want to eat but it's compulsive. I'm not even hungry but I chow down. At work i have great control and only eat when I am hungry and have the chance. I walk in the door at home and immediately try to chow down and can't stop. Even old tortilla chips. I think it is the loneliness which I'm always fighting and substituting food for friendship. I call around and people are busy. So I eat. I got other problems so the therapist and I have been concentrating on those. But this constant eating makes me sick and still I can't stop. And it makes me miserable so I eat some more.

Any advise appreciated
  2. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

I have the same problem, it comes and goes for me but there's a few things I do to keep from gaining weight from it since I've never really been able to stop myself from eating compulsively when it comes on to me.

Try chewing gum which can trick your brain into thinking that you're eating, or find something that's healthy for you that you can nibble on all day. I have a bag full of granola bars in my room - sometimes nutrigrain bars. In a way I think just having it in plain view keeps me from eating sometimes, like not having food around me makes me want to eat but having it there and easily accessible at all times does the opposite. Hope that helps.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I do the same thing...I just try to find other ways to keep myself occupied. or even just eating stuff that isn't too unhealthy so I don't feel bad about it after. Just like any other compulsion, it can be really difficult to break. I haven't quite been able to do it myself yet. Best of luck to you.
  4. crist

crist Member

I can relate to you in so many ways. I had anorexia 2 years ago, then turned to emotional eating. I eat when I am all stressed out or when I feel relieved.

Partially, I've managed to stay in the same numbers, but it stresses me since when I gain more than 3 pounds, I automatically feel suicidal. I cant control it, it just put me in a state of despair, so I cut to relieve the pain.

Now its not only if I gain or not, whether I eat fruits or veggies, I feel totally discouraged from life, and it panics me. Anxiety grabs me and I've to cut to release the pain.

I dont want to live like this anymore. My weight, calories, food, consumes my every thoughts. Ive dropped out school because some irrational binging cycles/purging i've had recently. I cant concentrate anymore and it kills me knowing this is my life. I've spent, almost 2 years in this same routine, i dont know anything but this.

Is this normal to anyone ? Or am I the only one feeling like this ?

Not to mention; I cant stop myself from eating, everything in sight. I'm never hungry, but I just eat out off mind.
    Its like, I have the mindset to eat/compulsively eat irrational proportions, of food. I've to do it, otherwise I wont think about anything other than that. And when done, I've to throw it all up. I'm afraid I've become emotionally attached to it, does it makes any sense ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi cymbele - I do know this problem, all too well. A family member 'wanted' me to get obese so she could 'win' - and when I was in late teens/early 20's I hadn't worked out how or why or what to do about it - but somewhere within was a little light which flickered saying "I will beat this thing".........

My advice would be first of all to get a big rubbish sack and into it put all the stuff you describe as still being in your house. Have an empowering ritual of taking it to the tip. Hang the expense of wasted food (or take it to a shelter for the homeless) - say this is your first investment into doing this for yourself and your health.

Secondly, invest in a wok and plenty of vegetables and make it a rule, when you're at home that you will eat only stir-fried veggies the Chinese way (tiny bit of sesame oil for flavour and to grease the wok, then braise the veggies in flavoured stock - using sliced onions, sticks of carrot, sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini, capsicum etc.)

I promise you - these will fill you up and do your system a lot of favours. At work you won't have to dread going home to binge - and if you feel a binge coming on, you can eat and eat as much of these veggies as you want to, and it will still be a positive thing to do!

All the best with it,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.