Losing faith in humanity

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Endlessagony, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endlessagony

Endlessagony Well-Known Member

I don't even know why I'm writing this, it's probably going to piss off some people. It's just that looking at the world around me and looking at the people in it I'm beggining to question our right to even exist anymore. The hatred and biggotry is all around us. People go around happily ignorant of all the problems in the world today. I see groups gathering everywhere spewing their own divine prohecies, overzealous religious fanatics, radical feminists, violent racist groups, money worshipping people. Everyone is convinced they have all the answers and hatred for those who don't think alike is strong.

When did the world lose the ability to feel empathy for others? When did tolerance vanish? Or did it even exist to begin with? I'm not trying to say there isn't plenty of good people left but the world as a whole seems to be ruled with lies by false prophets each trying to push their own "right" view down the worlds throat.

For me the world is in slow decay with no realistic chance of redemption. The monetary system is a big joke and is failing hard with each passing moment. We have world hunger, pollution, wars, scarcity of resources etc. All the while most people don't seem to want to grasp this fact but instead blame all the problems on small issues like lack of religion, race, politics. You don't have to be Einstein to realize that a model where you have to keep spending more to keep the living standard the same can't work when you have finite resources. Yet there is virtually no effort to change that, quite the contrary in fact. It just feels pointless to try and struggle when everything seems doomed anyway.

2. Kaganovich

Kaganovich Active Member

I agree with much of what you say. But! There are answers to all of the issues. There are many tolerant decent people but passive tolerant people don't often make it into positions of influence, but they need to more than ever. The system we live under knows its days are numbered hence the conflict we see around us, but within that conflict there are clear sides, and you have clearly chosen yours! What you need to do is fight your corner, and do so knowing you are right, the greedy and ignorant cannot do that!

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

When one has depression all they see is so much negatives I see people helping people on the streets going out of their way to bring them food and warmth I see people who gather together when there is major tragedy in the world People from all corners coming together to help the ones that are suffering It is your way of seeing things that does not permitt you to see the kindness in the world All that is reported is the negatives not to good that people do There is good in the world one just has to look and see more closely the kindness people have for others

4. Endlessagony

I agree there are lots of genuinely good people in the world, not trying to refute that. In a way that is also scary because it's a symptom of a truly ill society, the people that are trampled themselves tend to also have empathy for others. Now my depression is not caused by greedy people or the nature of things right now, it just makes me want to try even less. I wish I could share the idealism and hope that things will turn out for the better but to me there's not a single piece of evidence which points to that.

Our whole society is based around the idea that we should spend more to boost to the economy to keep living standards on par, as long as GDP rises each year everything is fine. The problem is that we're overpopulated and running out of fossil fuel, I don't think I have to tell anyone that the whole infrastructure is built around fossil fuel. Further more the whole system of debt is absurd, we have built a world where there is more debt (by far) than actual money in existence. Printing more money doesn't help as it's value is completely arbitrary not to mention new money equals even more debt.

Unless all the rich corporations suddenly decide to throw all their money away and start building for a more sustainable world it's going to be a very painful transition. We are going to have to learn to live without fossil fuel whether we like it or not.

5. total eclipse

Many new ways hun they are looking at wind sun and other ways to create power. I think us humans are very creative intelligent inventive people who will and have always adjusted to our settings so to speak . I agree the rich corporations need to look clearly at what is happening and do more to help the world economy because if they don't they are only digging their own grave as well.

6. Endlessagony

I agree humans are a very creative and intelligent race, even now as we speak the technology exists already to make the world a truly better place. The problem is no one wants to invest money in it because it's not profitable, I honestly don't believe the rich will see this before things are too late. Interesting fact: more money is spent on survey's of average penis length than on research for a cure for cancer. There are even lots of people claiming we could cure cancer if we wanted to but think about it. Pharmaceutical companies don't really want you to be cured, they want you to rely on medicine because it's a multi-billion dollar business. I'm sorry I'm a pessimist but the more I see the less I believe.

7. total eclipse

The t hing is hun that some cancers have already obtained a cure There were times when the word cancer mean't certain death but not now with new treatments some cancers are being won Like i said hun i tend to see more positives the negatives but i think there are a mixture of both in this world and we have to look for them both not just the negatives hugs

8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

:hug: I don't disagree with your assessment of how society is trending at the moment. I wish resources of all kinds were distributed more equally among people and for the good of humankind and for the sustainability of the planet and other life here.

However, when I'm at my best, I have a really idealistic way of trying to surmount the "reality" of mega-corps and the "me, me, me - more, more, more" thinking. I try to remember that I can at least reach out and affect people in my own circle/range (not earth-shattering good deeds, just general kindness and small good deeds). I try to remember that good deeds, good words, and good thoughts don't have to be world-shaking to make a difference. I fully believe that every time one person makes a positive difference, the positivity radiates out and spreads like the rings around a pebble tossed into a a still pond.

Sure, I'm idealistic, but the option is despair. Looking and working for good usually lets us find it, even if it's just in small things. I hope you can find good people to hang out with. It helps. Thanks for your thought-provoking thread. :)

9. Endlessagony

You're right about that, I don't mean that there isn't any success in dealing with cancer. The one thing though is that they won't tell you a lot of things that could cure you too, just a simple change in diet and workout can actually cure cancer. With cemotherapy and surgery there is an almost 100% chance that you'll get it again later, also we live in an age where something like 9/10 people will get cancer at some point as opposed to a 100 years ago when it was roughly 1/20.

Sorry don't want to look bleak but to me it's pretty clear that there are more suffering people than ever. I don't think megacorps have a conscience. That's why people aren't dying as young but live on medication, it's a huge business. Don't want to even say anything about psych-meds. It's just simple, the longer you are dependant on costly medication the more money is being made. Alright don't want to comment on that anymore. I have my opinion and not going to change it, not trying to convince anyone to change theirs either.

10. There are alot of people who will lie, cheat, steal and cause harm to others for their own benefit. It does sadden me as i wish the world was more genuine and full of caring, loving human beings. They do exist, it's just extremely difficult to be surrounded by such people with the pace of society and the self-centered tunnel vision too many people often have.

I hope you eventually see the positives in life. I am facing the same struggle you are going through.

11. Endlessagony

Thank you for those thoughts, I agree with everything you said. I try to live by that same philosophy but it's hard in this dark world. All the people in my life right now are wonderful and I'm grateful to have them around. Sigh, I should just keep from reading the news completely.

I would recommend the movie Zeitgeist:moving forward, it has some great ideas for a better world and also can be an eye opener how things work right now. It sums up the needs of every human perfectly and it's not money. As long as you have shelter, food, a secure social circle and freetime activities you don't need anything else. All the massive consumerism and gluttony of "entertainment" are just patches for lacking basic needs, none of that makes the world better.

12. Endlessagony

It's hard to keep faith in society, I do however still have faith in humans. They way I see it is we are victims of a cruel machine that isn't built to sustain happiness but rather to sustain (and increase) the power of those in control. If it wasn't for the dog eat dog nature there would be far less self-centered people, and far less violence. A truly content person has no motive to cause harm to others. The problem is that most people can't even understand anymore how to be content, these days the idea of a perfect life is achieving economic success.

13. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Endlessagony, I am going to look for Zeitgeist. Also, I literally chanced upon a documentary over the weekend, which has some minor relevance to this discussion...you might find it interesting. It's about animals, sharing resources, using tools, learning, self-awareness. I hope that if you're interested, you'll be able to watch the whole thing from this link: http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/mysteries-of-the-animal-mind.html

14. Endlessagony

It looked really interesting but I get a "this content is currently not available" when I try to play it. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.