Losing My Mind

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Desperation, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Desperation

Desperation Member

God my life is pathedic. I'm scared to death to get close to anyone, I'm afraid they will all just hurt me. Anytime I'm around my family, I get this sinking suspucian that under their cheery faces they are hiding negative thoughts about me. I feel like they are just saying they love me one second but in the very same second thinking that they wish I'd just die. This is crazy and stupid, I know, but that's how it feels. I don't trust anyone. Really, how can I? All my life people have let me down. All anyone really seems to want me around for is to taunt and annoy me. My life is beyond messed up. :sad:
  2. Sh4dow

Sh4dow New Member

Hi, so this is just with your family you are paranoid? What makes you think that behind thier smiles they want you to die? I have similar issues but not with my family....Theyre never around. But with others who i dont know or meet. I dont have any real friends cause im kind of paranoid that others are out to get me in some way. Drugs have helped me cope cause im not aware.
  3. lostcat95

lostcat95 Guest

I don't know if you have issues or not but we live in a world that shouts "whats in it for me".
  4. Desperation

Desperation Member

Its not just my family, its everyone I meet. I don't even have to know them and I will get that paranoid feeling that they are all about to gang up on me or something. This is really getting ridiculous. I can barely stand to be around people any more. And as for what makes me think they want me dead...I really don't know. I know that it is a stupid thought, and very unrealistic, but it feels like everyone is a threat to me. Its causing me to be isolated from everyone.
  5. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

Losing your mind huh? I know how you feel, most people don't care or can't seem to relate though. I'd offer advice, but nearly everyone on here seems to ignore it. Best of luck to you.
  6. Robin

Robin Guest

Most people have some measure of paranoia at some level, it's when on that paranoia starts to affect your life that it becomes a problem, I do urge you to see someone about this, maybe it has gotten worse recently because of the stress you are under or maybe it is the progression of an illness that has so far been left unchecked but it's best to talk to a professional and to get advice from them. I'm glad that you see it as something external, that is, something that is not real or realistic, this is a good sign and shows that you have some insight into how you are feeling but it can't hurt to see someone about it and have your fears allayed.
  7. Syd

Syd Guest

I'm going through the same problems as well, and I know just how hard it can be. There are good people out there, though they may seem difficult to find. Talking on this forum is a positive step towards embracing your challenges, so you can feel good that you've made that decision.

For much of your life, you've probably been hurt by other people, and this misfortune has triggered anxiety/ paranoia, you can think of it as a defense mechanism to protect you from further harm. It's natural to feel this way, and I can assure you it's possible to socialize, make friends, trust others again, and learn to relax your defenses a bit, it takes time for the mind to readjust, but will likely happen of its own accord if the right steps are taken.

You'll need to experience more positives in your life, which will in turn become good memories that will slowly build, eventually outweighing your bad memories and neutralizing much of your tension if you're successful enough. You need good friends, companions you can relate to and learn to trust. When you build enough close friendships and feel comfortable again, that's when you'll notice positive changes in how you feel about the general public as well. Closer relationships will also be much easier to pursue after you have enough true friends.

Many who suffer from these problems are very sensitive, this is true in my case. Regarding paranoia, many of us may realize that people aren't out to get us (on a logical level) but we still feel anxious because our unconscious minds are filled with unpleasant memories, which triggers the fear regularly. That's how I am. I know that most people are good and mean me no harm, but I can get intense physical symptoms of anxiety which prevent me from feeling comfortable in social settings. The good news is that I've been improving by following my own advice, and so my suggestions do come from personal experience.

It begins with you. When you're ready, find some like-minded individuals, and I hope you'll see how many wonderful people there really are out there. Do what feels right. If you want to talk further, I'll be here on the boards. Stay strong. :smile: