Losing Time

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by lightning05, Aug 11, 2016.

1. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Lately I have been losing track of time. I don't mean that I black out or anything, but it seems like I look up and it's a few hours later. Then I realize that I haven't even done anything in that time. I've just been sitting there or something. It's like my mind has just been going somewhere else. It's a little disturbing that these large chunks of time are missing. Today I am shocked that it is 9pm and that I haven't done anything tonight. I left work early today and got home around 4:30. I lost time until 7:00 when I snapped out of it and went to the supermarket. The only thing I can remember doing is popping in on SF here and there during this time. Maybe this is a form of blacking out? Has this happened to anyone else? My only thought is that right now I am in so much emotional pain and overwhelmed with my feelings that my mind is "shutting down" to protect me.

2. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

Hi hi,

I would definitely recommend you see a doctor asap.What if this happened while you were driving, not pretty. How long has this been going on?
    Anything else related to loosing track of time?

I just popped 3 ambien, sleep long time

Take Care of Yourself Wild Woman

3. lightning05

It's not happening when I'm actively doing something. It's more like when I come home from work or I am at home. Usually in my down time I read or write, play video games, or watch TV. When trying to do these things I end up in "space out" mode.

4. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Happens to me frequently lightning. I can lose days at a time, no recolection of them whatsoever. My partner says something along the lines of, "remember when we were in town and went to that place for a coffee" and I haven't got a clue what the hell she is talking about. I have tried to talk to my doctor and my psych about it, but they are not interested and think its not important. The MRI scans I had done years ago were clear, so they always go back to them and say theres nothing wrong! My short term memory is poor at best and is getting slowly worse. I am sure the two are related.

5. M_C

M_C New Member

Maybe because you have been stuck in a routine for a awhile. Try to shake up your day with new things.

-M.C

6. lightning05

Yeah things have kind of all blurred together. I am changing some things up in the next couple of weeks and I will be on a different schedule with classes starting. Hopefully being busier will help. I'm going to talk to my therapist about it next appointment. I used to feel like everything was a dream and that I wasn't real and my other therapist told me it was called derealization and that it is a way for your brain to protect you when you feel overwhelmed. I'm wondering if this is something similar.

7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

When my depression was really bad, I could fog out for a while. I might even do things during a period of time, but not really remember much about them. Sometimes it helped to make a schedule of tasks, goals, chores, and then do them one by one, and check them off the list. Even if the task was just sitting and reading for an hour. I hope you feel less "shut down" from now on. It is a weird feeling, but you can work on structuring things to keep you in the moment and not losing track. *hug*

8. lightning05

Thanks for your response @Acy . Right now I am at a really low point in my depression and am just so mentally exhausted. I feel like my brain actually hurts. I have been making lists of things that need to be done or that I need to get and of appointments and it's helping. I just feel so spaced out constantly but I don't want to be alive and have barely been sleeping so that is also playing a role. Very tired.

9. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

I am experiencing a loss of sense of time as well. I read somewhere about an awakening of humanity happening..not sure if it's true. But I feel like the days are shorter, and I barely have time to get anything done, so I usually just let it slip away and lose another day because it feels just a sliver of what it used to feel like. Its scary cause I have had people tell me time goes by faster as you 'mature'..and if it's this fast now, I cannot imagine how blippy it will be later in my life. Kind of makes me feel like I'm being rushed to finish this life. As a coping mechanism or..some preternatural force is creating this time lapse for me to get through days faster.