Lost my job, owe back rent, and I'm gay

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mdude04, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdude04

mdude04 New Member

Hi all,

I was living the life until a few months ago. I was making a six-figure salary in New York City, I had the love of my life, and I was always surrounded by friends. But then, in November, I lost my job (thanks to Hurricane Sandy). I am living in a very expensive apartment and cannot afford it anymore. My parents are telling me to move back with them in Ohio, but they don't know that I'm gay and I can't leave my true love (my boyfriend). If I were to come out of the closet, I don't think my parents would approve.

I feel like I will never get to the level of success I was at last year, and I'm ready to just end it all. Please, somebody, help convince me that my life is still worth living.

2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Hi to you. Keep coming on here, keep reaching out. If you don't want to go back to mum have you considered moving to somewhere much, much cheaper. **** I know, but will avoid getting into debt (or greater debt) which won't help.

3. Slange

Slange Member

Nothing wrong with being gay. Is funny to even have to say that. Being gay now is like saying you have blond hair or brown eyes. Maybe your folks are old fashioned but I have to think they will come around to seeing that being gay is normal the way the rest of the world is. If not, I'm sure they love you and will accept you despite any reservations they have about homosexuality. But you should try to stay in NYC. Can you find a cheaper apt.? In time you will find another job. You will. If you were making six figures before, you will again. It's just going to take time.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You still have all those skills you had when you were making the six figure job so you should be able to find another position hun for now you and your bf need to figure out a new place to move into get a job whatever job to hold you over until you get back where you were before Your parents will love you no matter what sexuality you have hun you are their son

5. listless

listless Banned Member

You have a safety net (parents), many people don't. You've done a job that pays well so you can be hired into a similar position. Being gay is no big deal-just don't tell your parents if they're the kind to disown you over something like that.

I had a taste of good success, but it didn't last long, one reason I'm here. Anyways, I don't mean to minimize your situation but your problems are resolvable unlike mine and some others here. You also have your bf so you'll eventually bounce back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.