Lost My Job

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by burnedout23, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burnedout23

burnedout23 New Member

Was let go unexpectedly - "not a good fit" mgmt said. After 5 years of hard work..I am in trouble. I'm 42, no real skills- I have no career path- I have floated along in life because of my depression/anxiety- going from menial job to menial job. I look at my high school classmates- their dentists, doctors, businessmen, lawyers..I'm nothing. I'm a bum.. I don't know why we're not allowed to have a choice.. I have nothing to live for or look forward to. If you see the movie "The Bridge" - I am exactly like David..the one who wrote "no career, no money, no home, no relationship- ...and I'm 50" exactly me - except subtract 8 years.. I am in trouble..

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

you have worked 5 years you can get another job lots of people are losing their jobs it is a hard field out there. I am sure another job will come please if you feel like you will harm yourself please don't okay Who knows the next job may be the right fit for you the one job that will bring you happiest hugs

3. Did you get any treatment for your depression/anxiety and do you have medications for those..? Find another job and if it failed again, keep finding again.. There will be an ideal job for you.. Take care and all the best to you.. Please don't be suicidal..

4. Real sorry to hear that. I dont think i will be able to keep my job with the path i am on, i work frontline and they wont be happy when they find out what i am going through. There is another job out there for you but surely they cannot just fire you for not fitting in. Where are you from, surely you have rights.

5. privatename

privatename Well-Known Member

Don't compare yourself to other people. We are all valuable no matter what job we do. 5 years is a long time in any job. I'm sure you've gained valuable experience. You know sometimes it is good to not be set in one particular career. I know many people in their chosen field that absolutely hate what they do and they are stuck. Give yourself a few days to relax and don't be so hard on yourself. *hugs*

6. 1972

1972 New Member

I am similiar to you. You lost your job but had it for 5 years. That means you are capable of keeping job. I know people who never in their lifes worked non stop for a year. They are incapable of keeping jobs due to their fragile bodies that don't resist regular stress. I wish I was like you! Keeping job for 5 years! You can get another job and keep it for next 10 years. If you keep a job for 5 years it meann you can keep a job for 10 years as well.

7. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

i'm 23 and look at my class mates who have lead perfectly normal, well adjusted and simple lives and are now in their clinical work, and have about as much depth as a piece of bread.
    in regards to relationships might i just point out divorce statistics?
    you've worked for 5 years, you have experience. please get treatment for your mental health issues.

8. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that you just lost your job and that you are feeling so low :(
    You're not alone. I can relate somewhat. I'm 31, no job, haven't gone to college, I could go on and on. I haven't done shit with my life where as everyone else I grew up with has a degree, is married, has kids blah, blah, blah. I know the feeling all to well.

I have seen the movie "The Bridge" several times.
    I think I can relate to how Kevin Hines feels the most.

I hope you get to feeling better and can see the meaning in your life.

9. burnedout23

burnedout23 New Member

what meaning? I have developed severe depression over the last three weeks..I can't see myself working anytime soon, i keep zoning out...

10. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

life is rough but find some type of job if you can.

11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Maybe this is the time to go back to school and give yourself the opportunities that you desire...it is never easy at any age, but if you start now, even with one course, you might feel better...please PM if you would like any help negotiating the university system...I do have some experience with that, J

12. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

If you're in the US you can get 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.

13. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

In most of the US employment is at-will and you can be fired for not fitting in, unless you don't fit in because of race, gender, age, religion, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.