Lost My Passions

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Godsdrummer, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Back when life was "good" I used to be passionate about a lot of things. I had hobbies and talents that nowadays I seem to have no interest in. Things that I would have never thought in all my days that I would loose interest in. I am certain that it is my depression that is the cause of this.

For example. I started playing drums at the tender age of 12. Since then I have marched in 3 different drum and bugle corps. Performed in the high school jazz band, pep band, marching band. Performed in my universities wind ensemble, pep bad, marching band. Have been a member of 2 rock bands and even released a 45lp back in 1987.

KISS. They are not just a rock band but a way of life. A living community kind of like dead heads. I was a Moderator at a KISS forum, and lost that position due to this depression. I have my own Peter Criss fan site. It has gone downhill due to this depression.

Golf-I loved to golf. Not anymore.

All I want to do now, is spend time wity my kids when I can, drink, play video games and sleep. Oh and smoke like a fiend and eat.

That's it.

Just venting I guess....but am curious, have any of you guys lost your passion in the things you used to enjoy?
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Depression is good at that. Those things though may not have gone for good though, hopefully when you beat your depression you will find you can be passionate about things again.

Are you seeking help for your depression?
  3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am on meds.
  4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Have they helped?
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Yes I lost all my passion in the things I enjoyed. I can't eben motivate myself to keep my room and bathroom clean..I use to be a neat freak now nothing.. I have three different projects I started and haven't completed..Just can't motivate myself to do anything..About the only interest I have now is coming on this site and helping others...
  6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My meds have helped somewhat. But my depression runs deep.
  7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear mate. Nothing worse than losing joy in your life... Have you gone out to a live gig in a while? That may kickstart your drive.
  8. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Your Die O'Meter is at 80 :D. That's the lowest I have seen it.

I too lost all my hobbies/passions & then before you realise so many years have gone by & all those things you liked are a distant memory. It's definitely the depression, well it was in my case, then I think I left things way too long & it got to the point where I was having panic attacks just thinking about doing stuff like going to the shops. Even going on my summer holiday last year was a major thing for me & I love my holidays, I spent the whole 2 weeks living in fear & it was the same when I went away in October albeit I was in a familiar place then.

It's easy for a depressed person to say 'what's the point in going, I won't enjoy it, nobody wants me there, etc etc'. Don't push yourself too much, try & start off with small things like going for a round of golf or even just the driving range & see how things progress.
  9. annie-crafts

annie-crafts Well-Known Member

i used to be passionate too - about so many things.

but now, nothing. numbness.

i don't know how to get it back.
  10. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

And the thing is I had my passions until just recently. I remember for example, recently I found some pics online at the website of the old drum corps. One of the parents was into photography and did a photo-journal of everything from the practices we had to contests etc. Well I saved all the ones he had of my and my friends into my photobucket account and even had some printed off at a local Target store. It was so cool to see my old friends and to experience those really great days.

Now those photo's sit in my photobucket account just wasting space.
  11. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

I lost my will to care anymore. Caring has brought me no where except to the loser I am today. Barely any friends, shity social life, people just see me as a creep/weirdo. It gets at me sometimes so much, I just want it all to stop.

I try to have hope but Ive just lost the energy for motivation. Everything gets me down and nothing seems worth it. I guess after a while Ill just have to accept it.
  12. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Depression is a shitty comrade.
  13. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

So is alcohol.
  14. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

having being brought up by a slightly above average family, i've practically did everything that I wanted to do when i hit my early 30s. Then life really got boring. I lost direction. Didnt know what to do anymore as nothing pleasured me or could excite me much. Sometimes I do wish that I was not so extreme in everything that I did but I can no longer turn back the clock so now I'm into 'GARDENING'. Planting green plants. Picking up hobbies which males seldom indulge in. Gee, how embarassing hehe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.