Lost

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kat89, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kat89

kat89 New Member

I'm 22 years old and i've been depressed for as long as I can remember. When i was younger I would burst into tears for no reason at all and my Aunt and uncle who I lived with would respond by punishing me. When I was seventeen I met the man I eventually married and things began to get better, however my family had a problem with him and threw me out when i refused to leave him. For a brief ammount of time my life was going fine and i was rarely depressed, recently though I have been having severe physical problems that the doctors can fix and these have caused problems at home which resulted in my depression coming back worse then ever. My husband told me around Christmas that unless things improved he was going to leave me and this led me to try and help myself. I went to my doctor and after talking to me for only five minutes he put me on Depakote which worked for awhile but eventually made things worse and he didn't seem to care so I made an appointment with a therapist ( the only one I could afford ) who said despite my suicidal thoughts i wasn't "at risk" and she could only see me like once every two months so I just gave up. Recently things had started to improve again until tonight when my husband once again threatened to leave me. I don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I've run out of options, I explain to my husband what his threats do to me but he's convinced that its the only way to make me get help only I've run out of places to go for help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Your husband needs to help you not threaten you hun He may mean well but that is cruel what he is doing Is there no community groups youcan go to that are free. Also if there is a university near you the students that take psychology in their 3rd year will take pt on for reasonable prices. If there is a church in your area a minister or priest also can give councilling they are trained in that hugs

3. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

I see that you too, have had a very hard life. I don't think that your husband fully understands what you're going through with respect to depression. It's not entirely his fault, for I wouldn't truly comprehend it either, had I not experienced it's pain myself. Your therapist sounds like one of the unfortunate ones who only seeks out the rather acute suicidal ideations amongst patients. In other words, if you don't give her what (s)he's looking for, in terms of cues, such as I have a plan and this is what it entails (time, method, etc.). I know why they do it this way but it really puts some people in a bind. A very bad place. And sometimes they're the ones that ultimately lose out... Regardless, keep fighting, don't give up, and look at what you've got, as opposed to don't have, because you sound like a true winner to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.